Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 331 Posts

·
FXT Alumnus
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STI/WRX steering rack install instructions, anyone, anyone....

Into a 2004 FXT 5 MT.

I might be going there soon.

I tried the old sf.com cached pages and came up bubkis.

There is at least 4-6 of you guys out there that have done this.

Could you post what parts are needed and the steps to change it.

I'd buy you a beer if possible. :Banane35:

Mucho thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
2004 FXT
266 Posts
I just got a STi rack myself. Getting ready to install too. Wouldn't mind getting some help, or letting me watch you install if you do it first. I am thinking of installing within the next 2 weeks or so.

·
FXT Alumnus
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I am assuming that all you need is marked in yellow??
Do I need the other shafts in either green, orange or pink??

My gut feel says I just need the stub one in green.

Any advice out there?

Pete....

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
765 Posts
The part in green comes with the rack (3). It is the exact same in the STI and Forester rack. The part in pink/orange is already on your car (2). The STI u joint (2) is too short for our car. I'm not sure if it is because of the spacer that is part of our front subframe or if the upper part of our steering column is shorter. This is too bad as the Forester u-joint (2) has a rubber bushing in it to decrease NVH, but I'm sure it also decreases steering communication and feel.

Bug me later in the week and I'll see if I can put together a pictorial of the install. It shouldn't be more than 2 hours of work.

Don't forget to get a couple of small cotter pins to replace the ones removed from the Castle nuts on the tie rod ends.

Enjoy,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
FXT Alumnus
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BenMara said:
the only the 04 STI rack fits correct?
2004 is only compatible.

2005 STI went to a beefier axle, different wheel bolt pattern and subsequently a different erack mounting scheme on the drivers side only. Lastly, the large metal U channel that the rack nestles in is different.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
765 Posts
Sorry, no pictorial, as I meant to have. But I can likely answer any questions you have. It really is a matter of removing the subframe-rails (?term), that is the two rails held on by very large bolts that attaches under the A arms. Then just remove the outer tie rod end castle nuts, and then the four bolts that hold on the rack and then undo the two flare nuts on the passenger side that carry the power steering fluid to the rack. I couldn't get a flare nut wrench on these but a regular open end wrench worked fine. The hardest part was getting these re-attached correctly. And you will have to "play" with getting the steering wheel straight by attaching then unattaching the outer tie rod end castle nuts until the steering wheel is straight. A helper is a good thing for this to turn the steering wheel while you are under the car. Anyhow, any questions just ask.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
i just picked up an sti entire front subframe. it include the steering rack control arms ball joints and sway bar. i obviously won't be using the sway as it's smaller but plan on ysing everything else.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
i just picked up an sti entire front subframe. it include the steering rack control arms ball joints and sway bar. i obviously won't be using the sway as it's smaller but plan on using everything else.
does anyone know if the entire subframe will be a direct swap over? 04 sti parts going into an 04 xt.

thanks.

·
Registered
16' FXT Touring
408 Posts
yerp, just bolt the subframe up with control arms, steering rack, and sway bar already installed and all you will have to do is connect the power steering lines, hubs, and struts. I think that the aluminum STi control arms require different ball-joints than the FXT control arms, so use the STI ones with your hubs. That is the easiest way, though you will need a hoist or something to hold the engine up while you swap subframes. You can easily sell your FXT subframe and sway bar to someone doing a turbo swap in any forester, impreza, or legacy.

let me know if you have any questions, I just did a subframe/steering rack/suspension/brake/sway install in my swap car.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
subframe and all parts have about 10k miles on them, and include the ball joints. It will be going in this weekend along with my swift springs, hotchkiss front endlinks and STi lateral links. Perrin rear sway and Kartboy rear endlinks went in last weekend.

Glad to hear that it'll be a straight swap in. I suppose I'll get an alignment afterwards.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 spd manual
108 Posts
What about the bushings??

I'm getting the '04 STi rack in the mail in a few days. I was planning on installing the Whiteline bushings at the same time. I'm assuming they're the same as well... or do I need to be looking for a different bushing. I was planning on getting the Whiteline bushings from KastleKorner.com the 30mm KSR202. Are these the right bushings? Thanks

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
I am glad you brought this back from the dead. It is on my mod list too. I think once member had problems and I think he was trying to use the knuckle from the STI.

·
Registered
16' FXT Touring
408 Posts
I'm getting the '04 STi rack in the mail in a few days. I was planning on installing the Whiteline bushings at the same time. I'm assuming they're the same as well... or do I need to be looking for a different bushing. I was planning on getting the Whiteline bushings from KastleKorner.com the 30mm KSR202. Are these the right bushings? Thanks
Yep should be the ones you need, the older style rather than the newer and more expensive ones for 2005+ STI and I think also 06+ impreza.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,791 Posts
Yep should be the ones you need, the older style rather than the newer and more expensive ones for 2005+ STI and I think also 06+ impreza.
From what I'm reading on IWSTI the bushings are only needed on the 04. The 05+ are supposedly better, drivers report NOT feeling any difference after upgrading.

I'll be putting in an 06 STi rack this spring, have it complete with crossmember.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 spd manual
108 Posts
Thanks, should be an exciting install for next weekend. Is it worthwhile to get any other bushings while I'm at it (i.e. rear diff busing set)?

·
worn out cams
05 FXT
901 Posts
If anyone can help, do only 2004 STI racks work with 04-05s? What year WRX racks (since they can be had so much cheaper)?

·
worn out cams
05 FXT
901 Posts
And is a WRX/STi rack also a direct swap into an SF?
SF needs the classic STi rack ( or the 22b / Type-RA if you are minted/brave ... mmm 2.25 turns... )

The UJ's are different to the later style.

Steve
... from another related post...

1 - 20 of 331 Posts