Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post about this a few years ago but forgot to add the comparable photos.

XT subframe attatchment point.

STi.

XT diff carrier.

ST diff carrier.

The two together. You'll notice that is generally more metal and bracing on the STi version

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Any chance you could get some measurements? IE distance between R&L lateral link bolt points, distance of lateral link from body (does the STI one move the LL closer to the body?).

I'd get one just for the fact that it has solid mount points for the diff and body instead of those partially rubber filled holes.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Seems like some subframe lock bolts and better bushings would be a lot easier if it even made a worthwhile improvement..

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5sp Manual
35 Posts
2016 bump and question. Is this STI subframe the same as the WRX subframe for the same years? I do know there are differences between the WRX and XT subframes as far as geometries go but I'm unsure about the bracing of the WRX subframe and if it's like the STI's. (I already have a WRX subframe in my possession and want it to be like the STI's so I don't have to upgrade yet again...)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 6MT DCCD (helical)
2,248 Posts
Im pretty sure the structure is the same except that the mounts are solid steel inserts on the STi subframe as opposed to the small bushing inserts in the mounts on the WRX subframe.

Honestly, you wont feel the difference unless you are pushing really really hard on a track. And then if you have rear subframe lock-down bolts, there shouldn't be much of a difference at all.

Anything to add or correct here @Bansheeboy11 ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
99 Impreza RS 5 Speed
173 Posts
Yeh. Physically the only difference is the steel bushing on the STI one, the metal stamping is identical. Going from a Forester crossmember to the WRX/STI is a big difference, youll feel the rear end tighten up quite a bit. Definitely do the rear diff bushings while its all out, doing the lateral link bushings wont hurt either.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L 5 Speed
5 Posts
I'm looking to put an 02-07 jdm sti rear subframe in if it works since I can find one cheaper than I can for my 2000 subaru forester L. Do you think it would fit other than the difference in the way that the rear differential mounts to the subframe? I think an r180 differential bolts are a little wider than an r160 differential but I can't find a solid answer on that. If thats the case, can I just get a wrx diff mount kit and use that?
What I'm looking to do specifically, if possible, is buy an 02-07 jdm sti rear subframe to replace the one in my 2000 subaru forester L, and simply change the exhaust hanger mount and rear diff mount to fit my current r160 rear diff/axles/hubs.
If not I'll shell out the cash for an oem, just thought it'd be cool to try something I don't think anyone has tried before!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking to put an 02-07 jdm sti rear subframe in if it works since I can find one cheaper than I can for my 2000 subaru forester L. Do you think it would fit other than the difference in the way that the rear differential mounts to the subframe? I think an r180 differential bolts are a little wider than an r160 differential but I can't find a solid answer on that. If thats the case, can I just get a wrx diff mount kit and use that?
What I'm looking to do specifically, if possible, is buy an 02-07 jdm sti rear subframe to replace the one in my 2000 subaru forester L, and simply change the exhaust hanger mount and rear diff mount to fit my current r160 rear diff/axles/hubs.
If not I'll shell out the cash for an oem, just thought it'd be cool to try something I don't think anyone has tried before!
Have done any work on this idea since you posted last year?

I'm wanting to see if I can fit an STi rear subframe - JDM 02-07 STi - on a 2004 Forester XS. Most of the suspension parts for the Forester XT are the same for the XS. So my thinking is if it fits the XT then it should fit the XS. I don't know much about the different rear differentials and how they fit into the carrier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts