Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've decided to purchase a set of Tein coilover flex z forester sg9 sti specific suspension.
I've also purchased the EDFC active pro kit.
My quandary is the site states the motors needed are kit EDK05-12120 which is the M12 x M12. However I know the front top threads are M14 and the rears are M12.
I've been told the motors won't fit directly on top of the struts at the front due to lack of space and would need motor extensions EDK08-P8514-14.

Has anyone fitted the EDFC motors to their Tein flex z on their 2004 FSTi and did they need the extension kit or did the motors fit directly on the struts?
Also if the extension kit is needed then does it drop from M14 to M12 to fit the M12 motors or do the front motors need to be M14?

This is the site I used for information. lowering springs, suspension: TEIN Flex Z Coilover Kit for SUBARU FORESTER 2.5 (SG9) AWD 2004.04-2007.12 :STI VERSION, Tein Flex/Street Flex Coilover Kits - Subaru
I've bought the suspension from somewhere else as I found it £100 cheaper but I've bought the EDFC kit from the above site.

Cheers.
Andy.

· Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello mate,

This should help... lifted from Tein Japan's site via Nengun.
View attachment 576051
View attachment 576051
Ah that's great pal.
I've gone for the active pro with GPS so came to just over £720 and now I'll have to spend another £72 on the motor extensions for the front. 😖
It's just weird that they say fitment isn't confirmed.
I had the edfc motors on my Sf5 and didn't need the extension kit up front.

· Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out all motor extensions use the M12 motors but was wondering if I were to get the company to send the M14 - M12 would the M14 fit under the bonnet/hood?
I think I remember doing this before but the old mind can't remember the sizes.

I don't see why not as I had gen2 forester specific Tein street flex on my01 S Turbo without the extensions.

I just cba with the relocation of the motors and the extra £72 but may just have to.

· Registered
2005 STi
137 Posts
I'm afraid my assistance stops here - I was looking at the Teins with EDFC at the beginning of the year (hence the out of date price I'd scribbled when I took the screenshot), but never got round to ordering them for various reasons.

It might be a dead end, but perhaps you could try asking Tein UK - at the very least they could ask Tein JP on your behalf.

L

· Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm afraid my assistance stops here - I was looking at the Teins with EDFC at the beginning of the year (hence the out of date price I'd scribbled when I took the screenshot), but never got round to ordering them for various reasons.

It might be a dead end, but perhaps you could try asking Tein UK - at the very least they could ask Tein JP on your behalf.

L
Thanks for your help bud it's much appreciated.

I've asked Tein UK and was told I may need the extensions by Yukiko but him/her has never fitted one so can't be sure.
However if I do get the M12 x M12 kit recommended then yes I will need them as the front strut top threads are M14.
I just think that the extensions are unnecessary if the motors fit and I get them in M14 x M12.

· Registered
2005 fozzy sti
321 Posts
What you got fitted to the fozzy just now Highland forry out of curiosity and why you changing them

I have tein adjustable rear struts on standard sti springs and wound up to position 12 out if 15 to match the front

· Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What you got fitted to the fozzy just now Highland forry out of curiosity and why you changing them

I have tein adjustable rear struts on standard sti springs and wound up to position 12 out if 15 to match the front
Hi Neil

I have a set of Miester R ZetaCRD coilovers on there atm.

I'm changing back to Tein for the following reasons albeit being disappointed in their corrosion prevention initially.

1. The Miester R's are a tad bit bouncy with the winter tires I have on and my lady doesn't like the ride.
2. When I used Tein Street flex and an EDFC II kit on my99/my01 SF5's I felt the cornering, ride quality and adjustability was better especially for the undulating roads I drive on here.

I intend to lather the Teins in lithium grease and use the coilover socks I have to try and prevent the corrosion I experienced the first time round.
Doing the above to the Miester R's has left them looking spanking still.

Andy.

Reactions: Lockheed
1 - 8 of 8 Posts