·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents
Newbie here
So the above is my wifes car. 130 K
Recent dealer work: New timing belt Radiator, Turbo and gaskets.
Last weekend she got the oil changed at the local Valvoline quick change.
While driving home 60 miles later the engine quits and all the lights come on.
I get my truck and tow her home with a strap.
The next morning I start it and its making very expensive from what I think is coming from the front of the engine in the timing belt area.
I only run it for about 20 secs.
Tow it to the dealer and they say they think " It threw a rod" or something major came apart in the engine.
This is Flower Motors Montrose Colorado, which I think is a stand up OK shop.
The car was running great before this oil change, do you guys think this very recent oil change had anything to do with it?
The car is in excellent shape.
Do these engines fail like this at this fairly low mileage?
What do you think?
Thanks in advance!
Nick
Telluride Co

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,926 Posts
It happens more with XT's

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
164 Posts
How was the oil level when you towed it home?
Sixty miles after a quick change sounds like they sucked most of the oil out; and forgot to refill it.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,013 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that!

You could remove the timing belt inspection cover (driver's side, by the battery) and see if there's anything in there that seems "wrong".

And like @CO17Forester said: what was the oil-level afterwards?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gents
Oil level was Full after the castrorific failure
Thanks for the responses
Nick

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
363 Posts
Maybe the oil pump got eaten.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gents Thanks for the thoughts
Does anyone know of someone that can replace/ rebuild this engine on Colorados Western slope say between Durnago to Grand Junction.?
I've got a 15 yr old son who is going to need a car soon and the rest of the car is in really good shape, hate to just pitch it.
Thanks in advance!
Nick

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
164 Posts
Sounds like a good time to teach your son how to rebuild an engine, working together can be fun.
With the recent timing belt work, I would want to open up the engine just to see what did fail. If you are right and the problem is in the belt area, that could be a much easier repair.

I once had a Ford dealer tell my engine was locked-up and I needed a new motor.
They were sort of right, I replaced the Starter Motor and drove the car a couple of more years.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gents
So I think I'm going to proceed as follows, what do you guys think?
Put that car in my garage. I think the noise is coming from the Front of the Engine, the Dealer thinks its internal.
Take apart the front of the engine while it is still in the car like a timing Belt change, see if the problem is there.
If Not order a short block [ about 2 K ] Pull the engine and swap all accessories and reinstall it and keep the car.
Any input on this plan?
What is the FSM or shop manual that you guys recommend for a blow by blow instructions on this work
As Always
Thanks in Advance!
Nick

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
838 Posts
Welcome..
New turbo huh? Sounds like it wasn't in that good of a shape to begin with.
If your turbo needs replacing, trouble follows.

Chances are it just happened to be its time regardless of the oil/timing belt change.

I do like your plan, that's what I'll do if I was in your shoes.
There is the official Subaru repair manual, google it you'll find it. Nice step by step to fixing everything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts