Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester 2.5x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 04 Forester struggles to crank on the 3rd start as well as on hills. It eventually starts but really fights for 30 seconds. For a previous repair, I already replaced my battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil pack, battery harness, battery terminals, starter. And yes I got oil.

The engine is in great shape other than this starting problem. Almost at 200k miles and you can't even hear it at a stoplight.

After consulting a friend, we figured it could be the fuel pump. So I ordered a new fuel pump and right as my buddy was taking it out he noticed all sorts of charcoal debris in my fuel tank. It seemed as if my fuel pump strainer was also clogged.

This is a picture of what the debris looks like. So long story short we put it all back together with the original pump and all to come up with a game plan.

We think the starting issue is all that debris in my tank. The picture doesn't do justice of the amount that's in there. That's just a handful taken out.

So the new plan is driving my car until the gas light turns on. Drive an extra 5 miles. Then siphon the rest of the gas out. And shop vac all the debris through the two access ports inside the car. We will then replace fuel pump, fuel pump gasket, fuel pump strainer, fuel filter, purge valve solenoid, vent valve solenoid, and the charcoal canister. And the hope and dream is my car starts normally after all of this.

Is this a good game plan?

Also wanted to note that you would think that with all that debris it's obviously from the charcoal canister. So im surprised there is no check engine light being lit for this.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5MT & 2008 Impreza WRX 5MT & 2009 Impreza 2.5i 5MT
168 Posts
Where is the fuel filter on the 2005? It's under the hood on the 2003.

I'm not sure how the charcoal bits could have got into the tank.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester 2.5x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry thought you were talking about the charcoal canister. The fuel filter is in the engine bay

·
Registered
2009 Forester M5 2.5 SOHC
106 Posts
Running a shop vac inside a gas tank seems like a bad idea to me. They generate a lot of static electricity. The motors also spark at the brushes right beside the exhaust port.

best to open the drains and flush the crud out with water. Then clean the water out with isopropyl alcohol

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,349 Posts
Some good advice.
I ditto Kevin's comment on draining the tank.
It's safer, and you will have less debris to deal with as it will come out with the fuel.
You are also much more likely to end up with a clean tank with a flush.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
864 Posts
Hello,
Is this a good game plan?
Visit your local fire station and talk to the chief. Sucking gasolene or gas vapors thru household type vacuum is likely to send you to burn center and car to junk yard. IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts