Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Forester has issues during a cold start. The engine stalls unless the gas is held down for a while. It generally runs fine after it warms up, but if it hasn’t warmed sufficiently it will stall while backing out of my driveway, the steering will sputter and the wheel will be difficult to turn, car will stall whenever gas is let up on. CEL is on and code P0300 comes up. A few months ago cylinder 1 was misfiring and we replaced all the plugs wires and coil. It worked fine for a couple of months and now it’s acting up again. The rough cold start has been happening since shortly after I bought the car in 2015, and I thought it was just the way the car was (needing ample warm up time)

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XS 105,000~ miles
5 Posts
I have had a similar cold start issue... it started getting cold outside and my car was bucking on startup, to eventually not starting at all. Changed the spark plugs, coil pack, and wires to no avail. I first found out it was a ignition fuse behind the change tray (to the bottom left of the steering wheel, which also has a ignition relay and other relays to the right side of the fuses) and that fixed it for alittle while.....

it got even more cold outside and my car didn’t start again, but thank god I found out the issue. I changed the CRANKSHAFT sensor and the CAMSHAFT sensor, which aren’t that hard to get to on my model, and it started even in very cold weather after that.

It still gives me a little roughness on startup, which maybe something else in the startup system, but at least it starts now, and idles awesome

1 - 2 of 2 Posts