Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Forester where the rear wheel drive is disconnected by inserting the Appropriate fuse, the car is now front wheel drive only. Is this a common practise, and is it expensive to revert to all wheel drive.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,197 Posts
Other than a sending power to front wheels, no damage will come of this. But really nothing to be gained. Not sure why you want to do this.

·
Administrator
17,683 Posts
G'day & welcome @Bill Gillbard
Are you saying you did this or have you just acquired the vehicle and it was already this way? It can be done to hide rear drive train issues. To switch to AWD just pull the fuse ;)

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring - silver
72 Posts
Two questions:
Won’t this solve the towing problem with AWDs?
Is this possible with newer Foz’s?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,624 Posts
I think he means can you tow the Forester safety with the rear wheels on the ground because the fuse is pulled.
The answer is no. That will cause problems whether the fuse is there or not.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
155 Posts
Switching to front-wheel-drive was to allow the use of a space-saver spare on the rear axle.
But I have heard of people trying to improve their fuel mileage by switching the AWD to front wheel drive, a foolish move since all the mechanical parts are still there and moving. Like some have said, it could also be to hide a rear drive-train problem.

Reactions: bman400
1 - 7 of 7 Posts