Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

The car developed a clunk from the back somewhere whilst on Holiday, I put it down to all the stuff on the roof rack at the time, but on inspection it looks like the bracket that attaches the ARB to the chassis has broken.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door

It looks like it is a fairly simple job to replace it, but I'm wondering if I should go for a like-for-like replacement or if there is a stronger aftermarket version. I changed the ARB for a 24mm whiteline unit when I got the suspension done, so assume that the additional loadings have caused it?

Tom.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I seem to remember reading something to that effect a while back. Couldn't find it now to see if there was a solution though. Will keep looking

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
6,056 Posts
The original brackets where beefed up around 2004 but not enough it seems. ;)

SNAP :)

Reactions: twade76

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,993 Posts
The original brackets where beefed up around 2004 but not enough it seems. ;)

SNAP :)
I welded up the gaps in mine, after being warned about this.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you look in the marketplace section there's a pair I strengthened up for a 21mm bar up for rather cheaper than Whitelines - welding up the "open" side makes them over 2.5x stronger.
Thanks for the offer, the do look good but I have already ordered the whitelines, due to arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
2006 WRX wagon 2009 FXT
240 Posts
considering the corrosion, be careful with removing the bolts that are holding what's left of the oem mounts to the chassis. if you start too aggressive, like with an impact wrench, it may just snap the welded nut on the inside of that "frame rail".

spray some rust penetrant and give it some time to work. if you have mapp gas, it would help as well don't use it on the bolt that's nearest the fuel filler tube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts