Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 4EAT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New here. This is from an 04 forester 4eat. There is mostly grey and some black pieces of plastic, does anyone have any clue as to what this could be from?
Brown Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rectangle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
361 Posts
I don't know what is in this transmission. Does it have a pickup screen that is deteriorating? 17 year old plastic.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 4EAT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@donkpow The pickup screen looked fine besides having grey plastic chunks stuck in it.

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

Dunno about plastic. That looks like oil-dri (kitty litter) in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It feels like plastic. It's smooth on some surfaces and jagged on others (like where it broke apart I'm assuming)

Could be dried gasket sealant silicone.
That's what I was thinking but it seems to hard, I think of abs plastic or a smashed wire connector when I picked some up. The tranny wasn't leaking. There was some slipping while driving then it just stopped moving one day.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 4EAT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been working late last few days so hopefully today or in the next few days I'll be able to get back under the fozz and get a real good look in the transmission and remove the screen to see if I can find any hints to what this stuff is. My friend had the car for 8 yrs with no problems, he gave it to me for free when whatever happened to the tranny.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
361 Posts
The tranny wasn't leaking. There was some slipping while driving then it just stopped moving one day.
"Slipping" will result in overheating even if you don't get an alarm in the cab. If the car won't move, I doubt identifying this material is going to give you a leg up in fixing the tranny. I would go through the whole thing at this point.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 4EAT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@donkpow Ya I was just curious about what it was, was thinking it had clogged the pickup screen, I was just going to swap in a used tranny. I don't know much about automatic transmissions internal workings so wasn't sure if over heating would mess much up. I know when I went to pull it in the garage I was able to get it to move slowly then a click came from the tranny and it wouldn't move at all.

Also I guess most of the slipping would occur when getting on the highway my friend said, wasn't an all the time thing

·
Registered
361 Posts
Got some stuff on that magnet, too.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 4EAT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@donkpow Ya there's quite a bit, it's ultra fine as well. When this all started I know my buddy had done I think 3 fluid changes over the course of a few weeks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
@brain7z We'd probably see more of what this is with the first pan.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 4EAT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@donkpow Ya that's what I was thinking as well, sadly my buddy isn't very mechanically inclined so he didn't want to mess with it. I was hoping I'd get lucky, ha, because it clicked (assuming something totally broke in the tranny when I pulled it in the garage). I'm going to take a deep look soon. I'll probably just end up replacing the tranny as originally planned as the body is pretty mint.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Prem 4EAT
599 Posts
Perhaps it's sediment from an additive someone added to the transmission in the past?

·
Registered
2004 Forester 4EAT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Performance Suby Thats very possible.

I dont know the history of the car previous to it having 120k miles, would what be most beneficial and cost effective, replacing with used tranny with much lower miles or pulling tranny and bringing to a shop? Ive never had to have a tranny service so let me know what yall think?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,197 Posts
If the fluid is cherry red then the fluid is/was not burnt. You said you heard a click? That sounds like one of the solenoids inside the transmission going bad. Any CEL? Any codes read via OBDII?

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
310 Posts
If you take your original transmission out and take it to a reputable shop for a rebuild it would essentially be brand new. If you toss in a used transmission you're basically rolling the dice if it's going to perform properly or be long lasting. Is it worth the gamble?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts