Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 XS Advice Needed for Buyer

Tomorrow I will look at a 2004 Forester LS with 4600 miles(Yes 4600). I have never owned a Subaru and would appreciate any advice on potential problems, things to look out for, and any generic issues with the '04s. One particular concern is whether the head gasket problem was resolved .
According to the seller, the car was kept in his vacation condo garage and was only used when he flew in to the condo several times per year. He has changed the oil annually, but no other service. He says the local Dealer offered $12,000 for the vehicle. Any thoughts , including value of the vehicle, are greatly appreciated.
Mike

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,840 Posts
I'm a believer of low miles = less wear & tear. Look on autotrader.com to get a feel for the the going price & make your offer. Don't wait too long... I've missed many great deals by waiting too long! :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'm a believer of low miles = less wear & tear. Look on autotrader.com to get a feel for the the going price & make your offer. Don't wait too long... I've missed many great deals by waiting too long! :wink:

Bobby...

low miles means its been sitting, which means a lot more could be wrong with it than if it had been driven regularly. If it was kept by the ocean I'd check for rust. The only major issue these really have are the wheel bearings. 04 is a great year!

·
Registered
2004 forester 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is actually in the desert. I figured I would have to replace the timing belt and some hoses and perhaps the water pump while I am in there. Is the '04 one of the models with the head gasket issue?

·
Administrator
39,840 Posts
low miles means its been sitting, which means a lot more could be wrong with it than if it had been driven regularly. If it was kept by the ocean I'd check for rust. The only major issue these really have are the wheel bearings. 04 is a great year!
That is true! When I got the '95 Neon Sport from my dad... story is in the '03 X Member Journal link below, it had so few miles that the tires had a permanent flat spots! It could be seen, but it could be felt... like a tire out of balance. Other than changing the tires & the fluid change... did have the timing belt changed at 30K miles, due to age, the vehicle has been rock solid. At under 54K miles & 15 years old, I don't have any plans on getting rid of it. No winter road salt on our roads, so it completely rust free! :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
39,840 Posts
The car is actually in the desert. I figured I would have to replace the timing belt and some hoses and perhaps the water pump while I am in there. Is the '04 one of the models with the head gasket issue?
Have your trusted Subaru delership or private shop look it over & advise you on what they think needs to be done. Then get a second opinion. :wink:

The head gasket issue was addressed in the '03 model, but there are still failures on the later models. Just make sure you follow the Subaru coolant change procedure & add the Subaru conditioner. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 forester 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the advice. Any other observations are appreciated. I don't see the car until late this afternoon PT.
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts