Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m new to the forester model I just picked up a 2004 Forester XS last week this being my second Subaru but first Forester and I’ve been reading many many discussions on the lowering and handling of this models. And I can’t really understand or decide what kind of setup I wanna go with. I’m looking for a decent affordable lowering option something simple that will go in with no modifications and not brake the bank but give my Forester a more aggressive stance I plan on running a 17’’ wheel once I get it lowered but from everything I’ve read there are so many options and I just wanna know the most simple and affordable one to go with that will give me a nice comfortable ride with not a lot of wheel gap and with no rubbing after I put on a set of 17s can anyone give me some options I can choose from and where to locate to purchase the suspension. Like I said I wanna affordable lowering setup that won’t give me a lot of wheel gap left over after I install the wheels but still give me a nice ride. And also what other upgrades will I have to make after lowering my Forester to make sure the handling stays spot on with no issues down the road. I’m from Oklahoma so the roads where I live aren’t the greatest and we get every possible kind of weather conditions so if someone could help me out I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you! OkieSubie04

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,354 Posts
Lower the Forester is not an inexpensive task depending on how much lower you go. Part of the issue is gaining too much negative camber as you lower the vehicle. Depending on the route you go, you will end up with too much negative camber and the only way to compensate is to install camber plates on the top. So we really can't give you any advise since you have not stated exactly how many mm/inches you want to lower your vehicle..... Knowing that you plan on running 17" wheels is not much help because rubbing is also dependent on the wheel you plan on installing as well as the width of the wheel/tires you want.

I live in Dallas, and given the roads and winter road conditions you live in, I personally would not lower the vehicle at all. I certainly would not go beyond 25mm/1 inch.

If anything from an appearance perspective, you might want to start with the bigger wheels and bigger tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I completely understand where your coming from I wanted to run the swift springs on just stock kyb struts but I’m not sure if that’s a good setup or would be the smart thing like you said. I guess more a less want I’m wanting is to get rid of all this body roll and rolling back so much when I go and going forward so much when I brake I’m not sure to all that cause like I said before this is my second Subaru and my first was a 04 wrx and all my other cars growing up were Honda’s and nissans so stuff already low to the ground I guess more or less is I don’t have to go hella low or stance my car out but I would like to stiffing the suspension up and maybe like you said take maybe a inch out of the wheel gap but not a hole like cause of how the weather is and roads and my wheel size I was gonna run was a 17x7.5 but now I’m not sure cause I still want a decent size tire still on my Forester cause trust me I’ve lost some wheels around here just from cruising around cause of how poopty the roads are but hopefully that will clear up what and where I was kinda going. If there is any other advise any is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,354 Posts
I would start with rear sway bar, and maybe front bar to tighten up the handling. Then decide if you still need to lower the vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
04 Xs
5 Posts
I lowered my 04 XS with wrx wagon struts and saggy butt spacers and I was rolling 17” stock wheel but I wanted a to go a little lower.

I ended up picking up another set of wrx struts with eibach lowering springs. I only installed the fronts and kept the oem springs & struts for the rear but removed the saggy spacer. I’m rolling on 18s with 265/35 meaty.

all in all I’ve spent less than $250.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts