Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've just bought a 2004 forester for my first car and am looking to get a bull bar for it. The only option I have found is from Subarextreme but that is way out of my budget. Are there any bars off other cars that can be modified to fit, I've heard that some 100 series cruiser bars can be but there is very little info on that. Any ideas?

2004 Forester X

·
Registered
2003 Forester SG9 XT 5MT
16 Posts
I too struggled with this question.
Nothing comes close to the subaxtreme bull bar - it has look best, increases approach angles, airbag safe, won't void your insurance or warranty and bolts right on.
So sorry but my humble advice is to save your pennies and wait. Patiently check gumtree and marketplace for a second hand deal - they do come up every now and then.
I ended up getting a secondhand one for $700 last year. Painted it and I couldn't be happier.
There are plenty of other cheaper mods that you can do in the mean time.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5x Sports, auto trans, 235k miles and counting
8 Posts

I got a custom bumper built by Red Clay Fab in Ringgold, GA for a fraction of the cost of a SubaXtreme bumper. This thing is very well made, accomodates a winch, and is still airbag compatible.
Call Nathan Doss @ 423-463-4086 or email [email protected]
He can build and ship, or engineer exactly what you want using your vehicle. Honest guys, fair prices, quality fabrication. This bumper is the best thing about my car!
This is not an advertisement, just sharing who built my awesome bumper.

EDIT: I didn't realize you're in Australia. Shipping may kill you, and this thing may not comply with your local laws.
But I would advise that you check around for a local fab shop, maybe someone can build you something nice!

·
Administrator
16,390 Posts
G'day & Welcome @L.Murphy04
As I note you are in Australia it may be worthwhile also posting your question over at offroadsubarus.com.

this thing may not comply with your local laws.
It certainly would not comply - our bars need to lean back so as to not force pedestrians under the vehicle if hit ;-)

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5x Sports, auto trans, 235k miles and counting
8 Posts
In rural Tennessee, U.S., the idea is if I hit a deer, I want it to go under the car rather than through the windshield, lol. Pedestrians aren't common out here. 😉

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
664 Posts
ECB (East Coast Bullbars), although not terribly sexy looking, have previously made Bullbars (and nudge bars), for some Forester models.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, 2012 STi, 2008 Forester (Sold)
122 Posts
I'll second getting a custom build. I was looking to get something for my STi and there are a couple aftermarket ones but none that suited my needs and I didn't like how they fastened to the car. I designed my own and had a colleague make it for me (he's a machinist who has a side business building FIA spec role cages in rally cars). It ended up costing a lot less $ and was a far better design than what was available (if I do say so myself).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ECB (East Coast Bullbars), although not terribly sexy looking, have previously made Bullbars (and nudge bars), for some Forester models.
Thanks for the suggestion mate, I've had a look at them and there aren't really my style but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
45 Posts
I'll second getting a custom build. I was looking to get something for my STi and there are a couple aftermarket ones but none that suited my needs and I didn't like how they fastened to the car. I designed my own and had a colleague make it for me (he's a machinist who has a side business building FIA spec role cages in rally cars). It ended up costing a lot less $ and was a far better design than what was available (if I do say so myself).
Do you happen to have any pics of it? Whereabouts in Canada are you? I'd like to get more of a rally style push bar/bar to mount offroad lights.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm to the west of Toronto.

Here you are. Not meant to take a large animal hit but handles all manner of snow related obstacles. Obviously, you can build with heavier tubing if you like. I used 1" tubing. It mounts to a sub frame I had made with four bolts for easy removal since I really only use it in the winter. The sub frame, which you can't see, mounts to the end of the frame rails as a shim between the them and the bumper beam. I used longer bolts to fasten the bumper beam back on to compensate for the greater thickness. There's a bar between the shims that runs in front of the rad with a couple of mounting plates for the outside bar. I finished it with many coats of rocker guard because winter salt and grit really does a number on the front of cars. Originally, I had four coats but it still got chips. Seven coats ended up being the magic number (about 3 mm thick).

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
45 Posts
I'm also west of TO (Hamilton area)
That looks pretty good - can you share the info of the company that made it for you? Or was this a one-off?
for the Forester I would have it made to just sit in the center section so I can mount the lights, not go all the way to the sides, but I like how it looks on your STI.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's a one-off. I did the design work and provided some drawings as well as a scale 3D rendering. Not really necessary but every little bit helps him understand what you want. I brought the car to his shop, took the bumper off for him (saves his time too) to explain what I wanted with the subframe. Once we understood each other, I left the car with him for the day and picked it up the next. It was his idea to use rocker guard instead of paint and it was the right way to go, especially being so low to the ground where stone chips are more common than you'd think.

He's not too far from Hamilton. Outside Guelph on the East side. His name is Ryan Huber and the company is Rally/Race Developments.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts