Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester sg9 blue mica
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to put a pic and by the way it need a windshield for it. You see it in the pics. It has the integrated defrost for the wipper blade and it is obviously not like north american one. Is it possible to order one from subaru usa or japan . I know i can put a plain one but prefer to give it a try and found one with the defrost. Any help is appreciated .

IMG_7543.jpg IMG_7538.jpg

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
574 Posts
Interesting wing mirrors. And you got that cardholder tray under the fog light switch!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
913 Posts
The Windshield Wiper Heater option is available in North America. Assuming you're talking about the heating elements embedded in the lower part of the windshield.
Your local glass shop should be able to get one for you.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
@GuusV is correct about the availability in North America... @fstisg9 is also likely correct due to the right hand drive issue. Should be a simple matter of extending the wires to reach the other side, no? People have been extending wires and swapping connectors to accommodate JDM/USDM swaps for many years. Even if you had to hire someone to do the wiring it would probably be less costly than sourcing a JDM windshield...if that were the case. There is also a slight possibility that the windshield may be the same across all markets. I'm almost certain my 07 USDM model has Japanese glass in it.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
913 Posts
@GuusV It will not. It will be on the wrong side. I have a jdm forester.
You're right. I checked on mine and the "park area" is RHD/LHD dependent. (because the wipers sweep from the right on a LHD and sweep from the left on a RHD). Bummer.

Can they special-order one for you? Or can they modify one to extend the existing heater elements to also heat the part on the far-left?

I'm guessing that having 75% of the heaters is better than having no heaters...

To be honest with you, I've used them, but never really found them to be very effective anyway...

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
913 Posts
@GuusV is correct about the availability in North America... @fstisg9 is also likely correct due to the right hand drive issue. Should be a simple matter of extending the wires to reach the other side, no? People have been extending wires and swapping connectors to accommodate JDM/USDM swaps for many years. Even if you had to hire someone to do the wiring it would probably be less costly than sourcing a JDM windshield...if that were the case. There is also a slight possibility that the windshield may be the same across all markets. I'm almost certain my 07 USDM model has Japanese glass in it.
Actually, when you look at the first picture, you can see that the arms on the JDM (RHD) are rotated 180 degrees compared to the LHD. So, they sweep from the left, towards the right side pillar edge of the windshield (viewed from inside the car). So, when the wipers park, they park further left than the LHD models (which sweep from the right, towards the left side of the windshield, and park on the right side of the windshield.

LHD: left side | (blank) (left wiper)(right wiper) | right side
RHD: left side | (left wiper)(right wiper) (blank)| right side
("blank" means that there is no heating element in the windshield there)

So, it's not just the wires, it's the positioning of the heating elements

1 - 13 of 13 Posts