Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2004 - I would like to install a back up camera?

('03-'05) 
3K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  551602 
#1 ·
Hey guys;
I've would like to install a back-up camera system in my 2004 Forester XT.
I am good with electronics/wiring, so wouldn't expect any issues there, but I am not familiar with the physical mounting of the camera and display, so could use some help here.
First, which camera system should I buy, and where should I mount the camera on my vehicle?
I would assume the display mounts on the dash, or on the rear-view mirror. I had thought about using my phone as a display, but the screen is fairly small - a larger screen would be much more useful.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
FW

#3 ·
I guess the camera needs to be connected to 12V - most likely from the tail lights, but that would only work if there is a battery in the camera that can hold a charge for a while (when lights are not on).
As for the 'head', are you talking about the entire entertainment console? On my 2004 Forester, the head is just the radio/CD/tape player. I replaced the OEM with a Pioneer radio not long after buying the vehicle (new) in 2004. I kind of doubt that a modern 'info-tainment' head would fit in my car. Honestly, I would rather not get into removing and replacing the entire console, but I suppose it's not such a big deal - so long as the new head fits properly. I don't need a CD player, and certainly not a tape player, but I do listen to the radio. It would also need to have either Bluetooth or a wired input for connecting my phone.

#4 ·
This is the camera I installed: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DNMDVY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It get's it's power from the backup light. So it only turns on when you put the vehicle into reverse. So not sure why you are mentioning anything about a battery.

When I am talking about a head-unit, I am talking about the entire entertainment console. My 2001 came with a double din size factory head-unit. It had the 5 CD changer, cassette player. I removed it and replaced it with a SONY XAV-AX100. This unit DOES NOT have CD or cassette. It supports AA and Apple Car play via USB, Bluetooth for phone calls and has an RCA connector for the backup-camera. I bought from Crutchfield with the required wiring harness conversion kit. The conversion kit allows you to do some splicing for a plug to convert the factory harness to work with the head-unit. I did all the splicing on my kitchen table but there were a couple of wires that I had to splice in the console. It's a very doable project.

The SONY XAV-AX100 however is not sold anymore. But if you do some research on Crutchfield. You'll find some nicer and better units out there now. Crutchfield offers excellent after sales support if you run into any issues during the installation. I would not hesitate to buy from them again for another head-unit.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info;
Yes, I guess back up light would be a more appropriate source of power. I was confusing the back-up cam with a video cam that would be running all the time.
I wonder if I could do it' cheap and dirty', using a wireless camera and my Galaxy A51 phone. That would make the install so much easier.

#7 ·
Best would be to replace the head unit and install a back up camera. I have done it in both my previous Nissan X trail and my 2011 Forester. The hardest part is tapping into the reverse lights for a power source and then running the signal wire through the hatch door, and into the car where you run it all the way to the front to connect to the head unit.
With a wireless one you still need to tap into the reverse light power but you don't need to run the signal wire from rear to front. Supposedly the signal and image aren't quite as good as compared to a hard wired camera.
For a head unit, I would think most double din units will fit perfectly.
Here is one that you could make work that is super cheap.

If you want a bigger screen and more features, I think this one rocks. Very similar to one in my 2011 that I have had for over 2 and half years now. The large screen is great for the camera and navigation program.

#8 ·
I'll have to do some 'surveying' in my vehicle once the weather is a bit cooler.
I have no issues with wiring - except when it means tedious fishing.
I have done a lot of wiring at home, and the thing I have the most trouble with is fishing.
I will have trouble if I have to go 'inverted' under the dash, but that shouldn't be necessary, with the console mounted head unit.

#9 ·
Fishing wire on our 2001-2004 is actually surprisingly easy. On both the passenger and driver side the plastic door sill plate pop ups really easily and you drop the wire(es) there and then put the sill plate back on. Once you reach the rear seat/rear wheel well area. You take off the trim piece that covers the strut top hat, and then you pry the entire left side panel in the cargo area and drop the wire(es) there and then put everything back together. It's not as hard as you think. I have now done it several times running the following on various occasions:
  • 12V volt to un switched 12v outlet.
  • Backup camera Video wire.
  • Head unit needed backup trigger. Wire that senses vehicle going into reverse to trigger the Head unit to display the video feed. (this wire is located on the right side under the passenger side door sill.
Good luck.

#10 ·
Thanks guys
Maybe I can get a good deal on Amazon Prime days. Then, I have to wait for the weather to cool down for a day. Don't like working in the car when it's 90 or higher.
I was considering wireless, but after reading about issues with connections through BT, I don't think I want to go that route.

If I get a head unit with a (GPS) navigation system, I assume I would also need to install a GPS antenna?

#15 ·
Just saying, but I did provide you a link to a double din without nav for $31. It will mirror an Android phone, so it can display any nav program on your phone should you want to. Otherwise, if you look around their site a bit, you can find
for $68 on clearance. You would have to splice it into your existing loom as it is not set directly for Subaru, but it would work and allow for a backup camera as well as built-in Nav. In my opinion, it would modernize the interior and add value to your car. It would also increase its appeal when and if you sell it. However, if you still use CDs the unit does not have a built-in cd player. And some might not want a less known Chinese brand, even though pretty much every head unit on the planet is made there. Frankly, if you reach out to them, they may be able to create a plug-and-play wiring loom for you. :)

#14 ·
@fw2016. If you buy a new head unit today, they are usually Single or Double DIN. The Sony I have is a single DIN, but the front piece that displays AA or Apple Car Play takes up the space of Double DIN. Most if not all new cars are now Double DIN on the front. Yes some are even coming with bigger displays.

But it comes down to how long you plan on keeping your 2004. I installed the Sony because the multi-disc that came from the factory died, and I plan keeping the 2001 for at least another 5 more years, ie > 25+ year old vehicle. Basically take the cost of the Head Unit and divided by how many years to intend on driving the vehicle. IMHO, anything > 5 years it's worth the price of the head unit.

Considering how many issues some owners have on here with the factory head unit, if I bought a new car today, I'd buy the vehicle with the least most expensive head unit and toss it as soon as I received the vehicle. After market head units are just far better than any car maker's factory head unit (Subaru, Nissan, Mercedes are the head units I have experienced).

#16 · (Edited)
I really like the Pioneer unit I have in the car now, and would hate to replace it with a cheap Chinese model just to get the video capability. This Pioneer even has a cassette tape deck! I don't use CD's (and certainly not tapes) anymore in the car, so not having either wouldn't be a problem.
The Pioneer has its own amp, so all I needed externally is the subwoofer amp, which sits under the front seat.
I don't consider myself a true audiophile, but I do have a 'high-end' ear. It doesn't take much distortion (of any type) for me to hear it.
That said, I understand that many of the cheap Chinese units produce some pretty clear sound.

In one of your links, I see that there are options to add to the touchscreen display unit. One is a backup camera, another is a rear-view camera. What is the difference? Does rear view camera take the place of the rear-view mirror?

#17 ·
I have taken a look at my vehicle, and am a bit troubled with how I would route the power leads from the camera to the back-up light. Since the license plate (where the camera would mount) is on the liftgate, and the lights are on the corners of the body, I would need to get the power wiring from the camera to the inside of the liftgate, then route it to wherever I can pick up the backup light wiring.
Alternatively, I could wire the camera to the license plate lights. The problem with doing that is the camera won't work when the lights aren't on. But as I always drive with my lights on, I don't think this would be a problem. The only issue I can think of is that the back-up camera would be powered all the time (while the lights are on). The display could be distracting.

#18 ·
I tapped into the power from the reverse light and yes I had to feed it through. Also had to remove the inner rear hatch door card and the wiper and piece of trim under it on the outside to install the camera and wire it.
FYI my 2011 came with the Pioneer stereo upgrade with sat nav that was available on the top trim in Canada. The Chinese Seicane unit I got for $118 has a better built in amplifier, better equalizer, better sound, more features and a superior Navigation system to the 2011 Pioneer unit it replaced.
As for the difference between the backup cam and the reverse cam they are probably just different options of the same thing. You would need to check the specs. The one I got fit into and replaced one of the licence plate lights, had high resolution, directional steering lines, and excellent night vision. The image is very good on the high resolution screen.
Been using it for over 2 years now. No issues whatsoever. Has worked in -25 C to 35 C temperatures without issue. You don't get a fancy owner's manual with them, but if you are even half ways competent with tech its easy to figure out and there is a fair bit of info available to help on their website. The price is ridiculous for what you get in my opinion. And that, in a good way!
PS: I don't know that audiophile and Forester go together lol.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.