Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought my Forester and was wondering how I can tell what turbo I have. I know its an IHI turbo because its stamped on the cold side but not sure what model. There is a flat on the cold side of the turbo but there are no markings on it. I think maybe the markings wore off ?

I'm asking this because it came with an STI intercooler and the turbo has yellow numbers on it like the ones you see on used parts being sold online so I suspect the turbo has been changed.

Thanks guys !

·
Registered
06 XT Manual
196 Posts
Td04 most likely. I noticed a samco intercooler hose, no heat shield, and what looks like an after market down pipe so there is the possibility its something different.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,625 Posts
It's most likely a VF39. VF43, 48 had that flat plate on the compressor housing, but it had more rounded edges compared to yours.

VF39

newer VF39 (same compressor housing as VF43, 48)

VF48 on right

It's definitely not a TD04 because of that bumpout and also the compressor housing (TD04 on left above, TD04 on right below)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the replies !

Thanks Scooby24 for the time in putting all the pictures together ! Really appreciate it.

Looks like a win if its the VF39 haha. Gotta check to see if they did the catless uppipe and then time for an accessport and some tuning.

·
Registered
06 XT Manual
196 Posts
Oh duh I wasn't thinking, ihi doesn't make td04, Mitsubishi does. My fault. On another note it probably has had some sort of engine management already unless the PO wanted to blow up the motor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh duh I wasn't thinking, ihi doesn't make td04, Mitsubishi does. My fault. On another note it probably has had some sort of engine management already unless the PO wanted to blow up the motor.
[/color]
Haha its ok. I feel that the Forester is really slow. It feels much slower than my supercharged Camry. I think maybe the PO had an access port and when he uninstalled it, it went back to stock tune. I'm going to get an AP and tune it and see how much more power I can make.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5spd
254 Posts
The wastegate between the TD04 and the VF is very different, so that alone says the turbo on there now is not a TD04.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts