Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And so if begins...

Tonight I drove to PA and purchased a red 2004 XT.

It has a blown turbo and was throwing P0011 and P0021 as well as P0244.
It will need some love as it was a smoker and needs a good detail job, but for 10 years old the body looks to be in great condition.
This is my first subaru, but I had a 1992 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD in HS and part of college.
I'm hoping that a turbo and a fluid flush will get this thing back to running well.

I got it for $2500 out the door and they are shipping it down to me.
Let me know if you think I got a good deal.

Here are my planned mods:

Engine
Blouch TD05H-18G-XT
Process West TMIC w/splitter
Maddad 3" Turboback
Walbro fuel pump
Open Tune

Suspension
Kartboy subframe lock bolts - DONE
Swift springs
Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway Bar - DONE
Moog Endlinks F&R - DONE
Sti steering rack
Whiteline rear strut brace
Front strut brace

Exterior
Debadge (AWDs and FORESTER XT)
2004 Sti replica hood scoop
17" Enkei RPF1's
225/55R17 Pirellis
Pinnacle ceramic tint
Primative Skidplates

Interior
Black round shift knob - DONE
Manual shifter trim and boot
PLX Devices gauges
LED lighting - IN PROGRESS
06/07 WRX leather heated seats
Parrot Asteroid Smart HU
Polk speakers
Kicker underseat sub
Weathertech floor mats - DONE

Looking forward to taking part in the community.:woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah this is the first red I have seen that I really like.

Having had a three white cars and a green jeep, I thought it might be time to try a red.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers there is not something major. It should be here on Monday and I will find out Wednesday evening. I need to find a stock turbo before then if possible.

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been doing a lot of research about the famed p0011 and p0021. From the looks of the engine bay on this it is completely stock.

I have read that removing the screens is optimal along with an oil change. I will of course need a new turbo as well.

How long do those codes have to be ignored to cause engine damage? Right now it will run just with no power as the turbo is gone.

Would a slightly bigger turbo just be a horrible idea considering I have no clue about the condition of the engine?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Basically ignoring those codes leads to the AVCS not switching and the turbo failing, which are probably both happening on that, it shouldn't affect the rest of the engine unless the failed turbo is getting shavings and such into the oil/engine. Basically theres a Teed oil supply line on the passenger side which goes to the turbo and the pass side AVCS solenoid each end has a filter and on the other side of the motor there's one going to the drivers side AVCS solenoid. There should be 3 filters total, 1 for the turbo and once in each of the avcs solenoids.

I'd be a bit worried about p0244 as that is overboost (turbo is producing more boost than called for). That could mean the wastegate lines have been removed and it could be producing a lot of boost pressure which could also cause damage.

However for that price it will almost definitely be worth it even if the motors needs a rebuild as it looks pretty decent otherwise.

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info funkymonkey. It sounds as though I may have gotten a sweet deal.

Now to find a turbo. Could I run an 18g on it with the boost turned down real far until I get the exhaust and intercooler thing figured out or should I just find a stock turbo for cheap and do the turbo last?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yaay it's here. Dropped off this afternoon.

Wednesday I will start ripping it apart and fixing the known issues.

Need a good cleaning inside as well as this was a smokers car previously.

I will post pictures as I go.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto -> STI
96 Posts
I got almost the same deal on my wifes fozz. I replaced my turbo and swapped the down pipe as mine had cooant also going out the tail pipe. Prob didnt need the down pipe but i had it. You need to make sure your avcs filters and gone and also take out the filter in the turbo oil feed line. I ran a kerosene flush at idle in my drive way for a hour and changed the oil and filter 3 times the first month / 3000 miles. I run lucas oil stabalizer and even a can of engine restore as mine has 170k. After all my maint the car runs like a car with 20k. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to source a cheap turbo that is close by. I'm definitely taking the filters out and swapping the oil on Wednesday. I will probably swap the filters and oil like you did.

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i 6spd
593 Posts
Stock used turbos can normally be bought on nasioc for about 150 bucks.
I would definately check there.
Good luck man, and awesome find.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i bought a backup td04 for 80 attached is a photo of my 05 i paid 2k for. Cannot say you will have same luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My foresters first turbo was a 50$ one but i didnt clean my turbo feed screen / removal. So i ate that turbo in a day from starvation. My second turbo has been going strong after being fed correctly....:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a guy on basic that is willing to go 145 shipped on a td04 with 106000 miles on it and no shaft play.

Seems like a gamble

What do you guys think?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
It might be a decent start just to get you rolling. Maybe see if he'll come down a tad more. Mine has 100k on it and no shaft play. I just don't know when the shaft play will kick in.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Manual
17 Posts
$145 for a TD-04 with that many miles seems a bit high. I picked up a new TD-04 (had 200 miles) for $100. I would keep looking. If I didn't need mine for my 92 Legacy SS I would be selling it.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts