Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,

I replaced my right side valve cover gasket few days ago and I'm now in process of making sure it seals properly. As expected I spilled some oil while taking the cover off. I tried to clean the spilled oil as well as I could and burn the rest with heat cycles. But either I did poor job while replacing the cover with new gasket or I have another oil leak in same general area. Pictures will tell more than I ever could.

I cleaned this area with brake cleaner and now there is fresh oil again.
IMG_20210430_181520_1_1.jpg
Filter also got a bead hanging from it.
IMG_20210430_181530.jpg
Now this could be a whole another problem.
IMG_20210430_181604.jpg
This pic is taken from other side, the part where the filter attach is almost clean...
IMG_20210430_181643.jpg
...but from the other side it definetly is not.
IMG_20210430_182247.jpg
I read a forum post about a leaking turbo oil feed and return lines but it couldn't splash the oil filter, could it? Could these oil stains be from the old valvecover leak? Or could there be a pool of excess oil somewhere I spilled and its making a mess shown in 1st pic?

Anyway I'm propably going to clean this mess soon, once I do maybe I can be more certain if there is another oil leak but in the mean time any and all help is welcome, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,712 Posts
You need to clean the whole mess up

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
610 Posts
^^^This. Get in and clean everything all the way to the top of the engine. That will allow you to track down the source. There are a bunch of threads about cleaning your engine bay between here and NASIOC. Be careful for protect your alternator and don't just go crazy with the power washer.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,626 Posts
Oil cooler gasket leakage is potentially causing the oil to drain down the oil filter.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,913 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your swift replyes. I cleaned a bit today but ofcourse I cant reach every where by hand. I'm positive I have multiple small oil leaks, one of them could be the valvecover gasket I replayced, since I found a tiny pool of fresh oil on top of the heatshield shown in pics. I will adress them once I've a clean engine.
I also noticed that my coolant level might have dropped in the reservoir. The coolant is as green as in the bottle and oil is clear so headgasket issue is unlikely. So if there is a common coolant leak point I should know about please let me know. How much does coolant expand anyway? I might be just imagining things.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,913 Posts
... my coolant level might have dropped in the reservoir. The coolant is as green as in the bottle and oil is clear so headgasket issue is unlikely. So if there is a common coolant leak point I should know about please let me know...
Head gaskets can loose coolant externally at the heads, or internally into the combustion chambers, with no evidence in the color in the reservoir. Coolant leaks can occur at hose connections and at the thermostat housing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts