Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In trying to find replacement bulbs for the 3 green lights on the panel of a 2004 Forester (P/N 72350SA000), I found that Subaru charges $60.28 for EACH bulb. I bought equivalent replacements at Radio Shack for about $1.25 each (P/N 7219). The only thing I had to do to make them fit is to remove part of the plastic coating on the wires. The bulbs are still a little tall but they worked well and saved a ton of money. It's a bit tricky getting the old bulbs out of the base, but use a very small straight-slot to bend the tab on the copper insert, pull it out with a small pair of needle nose pliers and the bulb comes right out.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
40 Posts
I couldn't find 7219 bulbs on the Radioshack website, but I believe this is the same thing:
http : //w ww.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103780

To find that I did a search for the model number: 272-1092. I found this number at another tutorial guide on changing similar lights at the NASIOC forum:
http : // f orums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=12840875
They have some good pictures.

(I had to space the URL's out due to forum restrictions.)

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.0XT MT
5 Posts
Still can't get the bulb out

Hello guys,

I found this thread and felt lucky for a while because one of the bulbs in my heater control panel stopped working. However I still have no idea how to get the bulb out of the plastic base. Maybe I'm just too careful as I don't want to do any damage to the base. Any advice on this issue, even better some pictures?

Thanks.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
I'll have to look later if I have photos. However, the bulb itself is wired in with thin flexible wires. Very similar to how the individual christmas lights work on a string of lights. Not sure if you are familiar with that or not. You sort of unwind the wires from teh base and pull the bulb out the top.

I found an old PDF I have that should help have a look

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.0XT MT
5 Posts
As I looked for the second time at the original bulb solution now I can see it should be quite easy to replace the bulb for a new one... First time I've been probably too careful to avoid any damage to the original part. As I can see now bending the copper part a bit should do the trick, then just get out the bulb's thin wire out and then the bulb itself.

Once I'll bend the copper part I'd like to ensure the thin wire of the new bulb will be connected firmly with the copper part. So I decided to use soldering iron for this just to be sure. Hoping I'll have time during the weekend to do the job.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
08 FXT Sport
1 Posts
I know that this is an old post, but I have an 08 XT and I swapped the controls out for a JDM center control with a cupholder. 2 of the three bulbs were burned out. I found this website called autolumination.com and if you search for neo wedge bulbs, you'll be able to find what you're looking for. I bought three of the 4mm Neowedge 1 Wide Angle Inverted Led Bulbs and three of the Neowedge Incandescent Bulbs. Both of them were green in color. I actually got the bulbs really quickly and I highly recommend going through these guys, they're fantastic! I ended up using the incandescent bulbs because the LEDs were too bright for my liking but both styles fit very tight and I didn't need to glue the bulbs down. Also, the incandescent bulbs were $2 a pice and shipping with next to nothing. Autolumination is worth your time even though the site is seriously dated.

Hope this helps someone out there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts