Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I have a new to me 04 FXT with 200k miles. As I go through inspection and general maintenance stuff I’ve found a lot of stiff rubber hoses that seem like they’re a hard plastic.
With inspiration from using a torch to remove some rusted bolts I used a heat gun (setting 8/10) and warmed up the ones I needed off… and it worked! The intercooler feed hose was seriously a struggle. I tugged on this thing for 15min and could rotate the TMIC so I knew the hose wasn’t stuck. Warmed it up enough to stretch some as I pulled it out and it came off first try after the heat gun. It was also 30F out in the garage to start so that had something to do with it.

I did find a the same technique in a different thread and considered not writing this, but I feel I made a better title that could help explain. Here’s the old link for ref:

Here’s how brittle and stiff some of the hoses are:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
4,611 Posts
I had a similar experience with changing out the PCV on my 2001. Ended up breaking the hoses as it had turned hard plastic. IMHO, it' was not worth saving the hard hose since the engine has close to 220,000 miles so I replaced all the hoses related to the PCV. The rubber hose had literally crumbled in my hands as I tried to turn it to loosen it, and I suspect if I had even gotten it off without breaking it, getting it back on would have been just as bad.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
187 Posts
Silicone spray only helps to get the hose onto the barb. The thing is, if a hose is that stiff it needs to be replaced. The way to cut off old hose is a super simple. Use a razor knife to cut a line in the hose running perpendicular to the hose. Then use some pliers to peel back the hose end that you cut. Then replace the hose with some new hosing
Gas Auto part Automotive tire Circuit component Cylinder

1 - 6 of 6 Posts