Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Subie Fan
2004 Forester XT 6spd MT (2005 STI)
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going through most of the post in the braking section (found some good stuff too!), I would like to get everyones opinion or advice on which brake setup is better or more practical. The contenders:

1. 06-07 WRX 4/2 Pot
2. 04-07 STi Brembos

I know I don't need to upgrade brakes for the most part, but I plan on turning my FXT into a show/weekend warrior Subie. I am looking for your honest opinions, do's and/or dont's, and advice on what to use/make installation easier.

Your help is appreciated and that is what makes the Subie community rock!:rock:

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
IMO, having tried a 4/2 pot setup on a 06 WRX, I don't really think it's that much different from our stockers. I mean, they look MUCH nicer, but everything in 06-07 (impreza) and 07-08 (forester) did. and then there's just the fact that brembos cost too much!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
180 Posts
From my experiences the 4/2 pot setup offers slightly better balance, just not better performance than the stock brakes. They are about equal in terms of stopping distance, just better feel. The Brembos on the other hand are truly an upgrade in every way possible. No they aren't necessary on the street but brakes are one of those things where it isn't a bad thing to have more than needed.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
but I plan on turning my FXT into a show/weekend warrior Subie. I am looking for your honest opinions, do's and/or dont's
I track my XT regularly and push hard. I'm running on OEM calipers, Dot 4 fluid + Race pads. I don't have issues with brake fade, ever. You don't need to upgrade for performance, its your call if you want to do it for looks.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 4 pots shift the bias rearward which is desirable.

Bigger brakes have higher thermal capacities end of story. If you can lock up your tires with the stock brakes more braking power isn't going to make a bit of difference until you get the softer tires that can actually take advantage of it.

Big brakes are a serious source of unsprung weight as well. But if you're into "aggressive" offsets and just for show in general you don't care about that stuff.
As mentioned with just better pads even trackdays are within reach with the stock brakes.

·
Super Subie Fan
2004 Forester XT 6spd MT (2005 STI)
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice... mainly it would be for show, but the rear bias increase would be nice for autoX.

Now another question, because I have seen mentioned that the Forester has drums on the rear. Did the 04 XT already have disc brakes on the rear? I purchased the XT used, so I am still trying to hunt down all the info I can, and mine does have disc brakes on the rear.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Thanks for the advice... mainly it would be for show, but the rear bias increase would be nice for autoX.

Now another question, because I have seen mentioned that the Forester has drums on the rear. Did the 04 XT already have disc brakes on the rear? I purchased the XT used, so I am still trying to hunt down all the info I can, and mine does have disc brakes on the rear.
All foresters aside from the base X model got discs. The 4/2 pot setup gives you the bigger 290mm rotor in the rear. Either brembos or 4/2 pots need adapters in the rear. Brembos require VERY expensive rotors in the rear if you want the e-brake to work, or "extended" ebrake shoes. The 4pots use the same front rotor, so no better braking ability, the -only- thing that will change is the overall "feel" of the brakes.

One thing I will note, brembos and 4/2pots are solid calipers rather than sliding calipers, which imo is a much better design.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
787 Posts
Did the 04 XT already have disc brakes on the rear? I purchased the XT used, so I am still trying to hunt down all the info I can, and mine does have disc brakes on the rear.
Here is a great source for specs for your Forester and many other Subaru vehicles...Cars101.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts