Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gad, who knew how much we missed/need SF.com, and TG for SF.org!!!

Just priced parts and installation at local Subaru dealer ($50 plus $80 for parts and labor) for both (only one's out, but odds are the second one is due?).

Anybody out there done the fog bulb replacement?

Anyone have yellow bulb source (H-3)?
-Quick

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
It only takes a few minutes of laying on your back under the car to replace the fog lamp bulbs. I still have the stock fogs in mine but I swapped the bulbs in Mimic's Forester in about 15 minutes.

www.powerbulbs.com, check there for yellow H3's.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
You'd better get back to work, Peaty. You were at the top of the heap on the old board, by a good 1000 posts.

You're not even in the top 3 yet.

:lol: :wink:

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Roo said:
You'd better get back to work, Peaty. You were at the top of the heap on the old board, by a good 1000 posts.

Because I can't see the forum from work :(

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
883 Posts
Peaty said:
Roo said:

Because I can't see the forum from work :(
dang you work people!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,679 Posts
This is one of the most unpleasant jobs I've done on my Forester. Makes me curse the so-called engineer who designed the setup. Haven't these people ever heard of the concept of designing for maintainability?

Unless you get all the plastic stuff removed, which isn't a fun job itself, you're basically operating by feel the whole time.

One addition I'd make to Peaty's excellent instructions is that the wire on the back of the bulb faces to the right when the bulb is properly oriented to drop into the slot. This should save a good bit of unneeded twisting and prodding.

Another thing to note is that you run the risk of touching the bulb if you try to plug the wire in before seating the bulb in place. Get the bulb anchored down first; then take on the fun job of trying to connect the terminal using only the fingers of one hand.

Note that these observations apply to my 03 XS. YMMV

·
Registered
2004 Forester SX
244 Posts
Do this in very-warm conditions to soften the plastic bits as much as possible - this is singularly the most difficult job I have undertaken on my Forester. Wear safety glasses - road dirt will drop into your face!
Just as with any bulbs that orient with tabs, take extra care that these tabs are definitely in their slots, or your foggies will be whacked; it is easy to miss this detail (guess how I know this).
You will tear up your hands, there's no avoiding it. Make sure you have a favorite treat (chocolate, beer, etc) ready for when you are finished.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Gaaa, just did this yesterday and was no where near a computer so I couldn't look here for advice. Definately one of the more frustrating things I've done and I think I touched the bulb, if not with my finger than at least to a bunch of parts in the car, so I should be looking forward to doing this again sometime soon. The suggestion of seating the bulb then connecting the wire sounds good, I did it the other way and I think that's why I ended up touching the bulb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is much easier to remove the fog assembly.

1. Undo 1 plastic fastener to be able to bend plastic mud protector.
2. Unscrew 2 10mm bolts (1 under the plastic mud protector, 1 near the fog lens).
3. Undo 1 plastic fastener (near the lens too)
4. Carefully remove the fog assembly and disconnect 2-pin power connector.
5. Replace bulbs (for your convenience you can put fog assembly on table or so)

It took me 10 min. per both fogs.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1 Posts
Foglight replacement

After reviewing the multiple strings here and on Scoobymods.com, I was anticipating a difficult job replacing the stock foglights on my 2009 Forester with brighter Sylvania 9006 Silverstar Ultra's. But much to my surprise, despited the manuel recommending taking it to the dealer, I found that all I needed to do is remove two plastic push pins ( one is next to the tow hook, the other is the next one over holding the fascia onto the bumper, it is the one most lateral) on each side that are holding the plastic fascia in place, pulling the fascia down exposing the rear of the fog light and each easily were 1/4 rotated out of their sockets and the bulbs removed and new ones inserted. The assembly was easily put back into their respective sockets, and the whole job took about 15 minutes. The lights even work, and I'm not a mechanic. I'm leaving the pins out till tonight when I can check how they are aimed and I may use the adjustment screws to raise the aiming point.

·
Registered
2005 FXT M/T
163 Posts
For my 2005 FXT, I followed tonyk's instructions from 2 posts above and it was pretty simple. While the foglights were out I took the time to polish the lenses up. I can see how trying to reach up in there to change just the bulbs would be difficult, you can't really see and the H3 bulbs are hard to get in and out just by feel. I would definitely recommend removing the whole assembly!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
133 Posts
Old thread that's been resurrected before.. Tried doing it without removing the assembly.. damn near impossible reaching up blind (it's dark plus the dirt in the eyes)...

I'll try and just remove the assembly, but how do you unscrew the second screw (not the one that you look right at when you remove the dirt cover). Seems impossible to get in there with a screwdriver let alone loosen/tighten the screw with that angle.

·
Registered
04 Forester 5MT
345 Posts
there are only two screws to remove macandcheese, the one on the bottom of the assembly that you come to when you remove the mud cover and the one you can see on the top of the light while looking straight at it. (plus the plastic push pin next to it).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts