Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well since my bellowed STI is gone and there will be different track whore I decide to put little bit of love in to my new DD. Here are few things I like to do with my car.

STOCK:

INSTALLED - NOT INSTALLED

Engine:

- TD06 20G
- STi OEM Up-Pipe
- APS TMIC
- APS Turbo Inlet
- TGV Deletes
- DW 740cc injectors
- 255 Walbro
- APS 3” TBC
- Cobb AP v2
- APS CAI
- Dual Catch Can Setup
- Subaru WRX Weapon R Hybrid Aluminum Tank
- Cusco Engine Mounts
- APS 50/50 BOV
- KOYO Radiator

Suspension/Brakes/Trans.:

- Lower the car and place on WRX or STi Struts
- WL 27mm Sway Bars FR/RR
- WL Lateral Links
- KB Endlinks
- OEM STi control Arms
- New wheels 18” Enkei RF1
- Brake ducts
- Cusco transmission mount
- KB shifter bushings
- DBA5000s Front and Stoptech Rear rotors + Stoptech FR/RR pads
- 4/2 pot 06/07 calipers

Interior:

- JVC Head unit
- HKS Turbo Timer (Already In)
- 05 FXT Front Seats (Already In)
- Rubber trunk mats
- OEM floor rubber mats

Exterior:

- Some legal tint all around, maybe little bit darker on rear windows.
- Bumper Guard
- Bug Deflector
- OEM mud flaps
- Rally Armor skid plate

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just finished Phase 1 and here is final product...

Currently I’m not tuned for power. I’m running just base map. It is basically my old STi map converted for Forester and running only 8psi until I get on dyno with WB sensor and also I still need to switch my fuel pump.

PS: Just smoked some Honda today on my way home… not planning but he was messing with me and I tried to turn on exit ramp… little surprised when I pulled from him like 30 yards instantly :)

Still stock Water cross pipe huge pain. One bolt stripped other broke in half luckily got everything done. Stripped bolt got nice new insert and broken bolt was extracted.

Turbo and APS TBC on... only I have to order new extended mounts from KB since my STi was too short...

OEM LGT gasket, much better than regular gasket

STI intake ON...

That is close call I have to grind a mount little bit to get it fit and still I cant push that rubber hose all the way but I will figure out something later.

Final Product

There will be few minor changes in time just for piece of mind...

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So after many many many days it’s finally time to built new engine. Car was making 325whp 315tq on mustang dyno and it was fun to drive but couple weeks ago I did quick compression check bc I was getting some misfire code once a while on cylinder #1. Result was cylinder #1,2,3 was around 130psi but cylinder #4 was only 80psi. Car is not smoking yet but I think stock piston #4 took a ****. Anyway since I know the condition I’m not pushing my car now and that gives me plenty of time to built new engine. So after 2 years collecting a dust I take my 2006 STi long block apart and start a process of re-building. Everything on that engine was fine besides all exhaust valves was bent when timing belt snap. So far this is going to be my setup.

- My old crank measured and checked
- My friend gives me some nice maxi light crower I beam 1.5mm longer rods. I will still measure C to C to make sure what rods I actually have since they are not in original box anymore. Rods are already balanced :)
- Going to call Tom from Manley and let him make me custom set of pistons probably 10 over for this specific rod most likely stock dish/compression
- ACL rod bearing and ACL mains both coated
- Heads will receive a little porting inside the valves to smooth it out and take of all the leftovers from casting
- Stock cleaned valves, springs...
- New valve seals
- Moroso Oil Pan
- 11mm STi oil Pump
- 09 WRX cams since they are lighter/hallow my 06 Sti are still solid
- And my famous valve bucket job which I will set mine probably .008 intake .012 exhaust
- I will still use my old 20G since is running strong without any problems but soon I will go with GTX3071

Here are some shots but more pictures coming…

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you don't waste anytime. i will always have a small piece of my heart for silver xt's
Yeah I have to clean my attic it’s not huge and there was parts everywhere :) Now I need to save some money for suspension, only what I need is koni inserts and springs.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far what I noticed car is lauder with my exhaust... a way lauder. Not much from outside but inside. I think it's because the "box design" :) I still love it thought. If I close my eyes it's like driving my old car again that sound of my turbo when whistles and sound of APS CAI is so familiar, almost identical. And since I'm running GM 3-port also slightly ticking is there as well.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw these pics on nasioc. The install came out great! Thats one fun little setup!
Thanks, I will enjoy it better if I didn’t f-up my other car 2 days later after I buy it :( but it's fixable. And yes I posted here since on NAZIOC there is not much interested in FXT's

27mm swaybars... wow! I was debating a set of those for my other build... how did you like them on your other car?

On my other car I love them, have them on softest setting and no problems at all. On forester they might be a little bit overkill but it shouldn’t be a huge issue once I lover my car. As far for comfort, it will be the same only what I will eliminate is the huge sloppiness in turns. When I saw OEM SB I couldn’t believe how tiny they are :)

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice build!!! I see you're an APS-whore, too. :biggrin: What size CAI did you install? 65mm or 70mm? I'm debating replacing my Cobb SRI with the APS 70mm...
Yep … I’m … too bad there will be lack/none of APS stuff in near feature if they don’t change their requirements for our distributors. I know they are not cheap but damn!!! their stuff is nice and most important their stuff come with great instruction, all necessary hardware (Turbo Inlet), 100% fitment with out any fails (TBC, TMIC) and their stuff can last forever (3” TBC has more than 100k miles was on at least 5 cars and still look and perform great). I used to have 3.5” TBC but that was too loud for my neighborhood. Anyway my CAI is 65mm. I’m not running big turbo so I decide to make my life a little bit easier. Tuning MAF sensor could be some times PITA.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice sleeper!

So the Z06 is the track whore or the FXT??
Well the Z06 is now out of commission :( Damn RWD + huge tires and rain not work really well on HWY collecting a water. Oh well at least it’s fixable, but my saving will get kill. Anyway back to you question, yes Z is just for sunny days and mostly track, FXT is my project/DD/fun car :) … but if I get my suspension done than I will take my Forester to the track on rainy days to make a fun of fellow vette guys.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
looking good
Thanks :) it rides much much better only my "donkey" is little bit lower than front but it is bc of my PDE camber plates so I think I will use some spacers. I already have those saggy butt spacers but my 1/2" is not enough so I will go with something more beefy.

BTW: before I put those 04 STi struts on my car I did this little upgrade for every one of them and so far nice and smooth ride with no clunks what so ever.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts