Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my Forester and the next morning it would crank but not start. With the hood open and the key in the on position I can hear a fluid wooshing sound and the fuel pump will continue to run until I turn the key off. I have removed the outlet line from the under hood fuel filter and fuel flows with the key on.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
Check all fuses inside/out and make sure non are blown. Check to make sure that you are getting spark.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply - first thing I did was check ignition fuse, etc but all were ok ( yes I did use an VOM to check continuity ). I think the fluid noise and the fact that the fuel pump does not build pressure and then stop running is related to the fuel pressure regulator as this is where the wooshing sound seems to come from.

There is also no spark but I feel that is due to zero fuel pressure at the fuel pressure sensor ( but what do I know - just guessing ). Anyway I am going to remove the fuel pressure regulator and test it but it looks like I have to remove the intake manifold to get at it! Any advice on removing the fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
Check to make your battery is ok. Use a voltmeter to test it.

Ok, so the car is cranking over right? Make sure to pull every fuse/relay both inside and outside the car and double check each. Make sure to double check every ground connection. Do you have the ECU flashed? If so, try reverting it back to stock. Do you have the clips underneath the dash, green ones, connected for any reason?

I found the below link of someone that has the same issue, currently he's awaiting a new ECU.
cranks but doesn't spark - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fuel pump will run with the key on for 2 seconds. If the ECU does not see a tach signal beyond that, the fuel pump is turned off.

Fuel pump and spark are unrelated. Even with no fuel, you should still have spark. Fuel injectors and spark ARE related. They both rely on signals input to the ECU by the cam and crank sensors. With just a VOM, you'd have a hard time determining if the injector pulse signal is present. Sometimes auto parts stores sell something called a noid light. Basically, it plugs into the injector connector. When cranking, if the noid blinks, you have indication of a signal to the injector. If it doesn't, I'd look at the cam and crank sensors.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the information so far, I really feel I need to find out why the fuel constantly runs back thru the return line as long as the key is on. I also thought that the fuel pump should only run for a few seconds with the key on and engine not running but after cranking for a bit if I leave the key on the fuel pump will run as long as the key is on and fuel is constantly running back thru the return line and the liquid wooshing noise is coming from the fuel pressure regulator.

This Forester XT is bone stock with 65K miles on the clock.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
Thanks for all the information so far, I really feel I need to find out why the fuel constantly runs back thru the return line as long as the key is on. I also thought that the fuel pump should only run for a few seconds with the key on and engine not running but after cranking for a bit if I leave the key on the fuel pump will run as long as the key is on and fuel is constantly running back thru the return line and the liquid wooshing noise is coming from the fuel pressure regulator
Because that is how the fuel system works. The fuel pump is constantly running in order to maintain pressure. The fuel regulator...regulates the pressure and all unused fuel is returned to the tank.

That's why I asked if the injectors run on their own circuit with their own fuse/relay. Sounds like the pump is getting fuel to the injectors but are they opening to let the fuel into the cylinders. And if they are working you should smell the unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust. And thus it's a spark issue.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guess I was having a brain fart as far as the troubleshooting. I think I get it now - I will check as to the injector circuitry (fuse, relay, etc), crank sensor, cam shaft sensor and if all that checks good I guess it leaves the ECU not sending spark signal and fuel pump shut off signal as well as not firing the injectors as I smell no unburnt fuel at the exhaust.

Thanks all!

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
Ok guess I was having a brain fart as far as the troubleshooting. I think I get it now - I will check as to the injector circuitry (fuse, relay, etc), crank sensor, cam shaft sensor and if all that checks good I guess it leaves the ECU not sending spark signal and fuel pump shut off signal as well as not firing the injectors as I smell no unburnt fuel at the exhaust.

Thanks all!
I'm not an expert so I was taking a guess at the injector circuit. I have heard that a bad crank sensor will cause these issues but I don't know much about that.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
Time to put this to rest! The ECU went bad, the entire B137 pinout went bad and wasn't controlling it's sensors/modules anymore. Just a few of those pinouts happen to the be the ground to the ignition system, injector and fuel controls.

The battery was disconnected for the 5 months but it still went dead. Being anxious to drive the car and throwing caution to the wind, I left my better judgement in my other pants and had the car jumped multiple times as well as tried a quick overcharge of the battery to get it started. It worked, but only for a short time before the ECU died.

Thanks to everyone for the help and especially for our soldiers overseas doing their job and STILL trying to help me out!
This is what the iwsti.com forum guy reported. Seems that the ECU was the issue. I say find someone else that has another same year Forester XT and swap ECUs just to test.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spent this morning removing all the harness grounds I could find (five ) and all of them except for one were attached to sheet metal that did not have the paint masked or removed before attachment. I cleaned the paint off and reinstalled the grounds, removed the negative battery cable to reset the ECM and the car started right up.

I have driven and restarted several times and all seems ok, I do notice that the engine fires with less cranking revolutions than before all this started.

Thanks for all the input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts