Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

We have had out Forester for almost 3 weeks. 04 XT automatic. 212k km on the body and 120k on the motor.
It's got a sunroof and original Subaru roof rack.

First post and first Subaru. This car was purchased to replace the other halves well worn 2006 Legacy 2.5 NA with a AT. It needed a lot of work. Had crash damage on 1 side and was lacking ground clearance and power for the type of driving 'we' like to do, wink wink.

My first time searching for, and purchasing a Subaru I should clarify.

The XT was owned by a garage in Vancouver. They were selling it to make space for more project cars. Mechanically it's in great shape. All fluids are fresh, I mean all of them. Fresh timing belt kit and water pump too. All season tyres at 80% minimum. Scratches on the front and rear bumpers and a rear door that is quite wavy, the rest of the bodywork imperfections are minor, it's 15 years old so we're not bothered.

I just wanted a car that the better half would be happy driving. She wanted an Outback initially, but quickly got frustrated with the search. She's pregnant and busy with work, so I said I'd take care of it. We live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Currently I'm working in Europe. 3 weeks on and 1.5 off. So I was trying to source a car in Canada while I was in Europe with a 9 hour time difference. Not exactly easy. But as luck would have it I found our current XT on Facebook Marketplace. I contacted the seller, asked some questions and got plenty of answers and videos of the car while it was up on the ramp.

We agreed I would fly to Vancouver to pick the car up and go straight to Canmore with the better half to meet up with her sisters family. Her big brother and family were flying up from the states to join us all too.

So we planned a long way around road trip to take in the sites of the rockies and the national parks, with a few hikes along the way.

Knowing our plans the garage ensured us the car would be no problem as it ran perfectly. They'd even pressure tested the cylinders.

The car was completely stock. Blank canvas. I asked if they could would do some extra work before we picked it up. They agreed. So the mods started lol.

I had the fit the following fitted to Flat Arse

Koyorad radiator
Moroso uprated oil pick up pipe
Universal transmission cooler
Hitch receiver (for a bike rack)
Weathertech floor mats up front
Rallyarmour mudflaps
Studded 215/65/16 Toyo Observer Ice, winter tyres

Reliability and practicality are the order of the day.

I had an IAG air oil separator ordered also, but it didn't arrive before our departure.

We picked up the car, did the necessary paperwork and spent the night in an Air B&B just outside Vancouver. That's a story for another day... anyway, the next day we got as far as Langley where I had the car booked in to have a double din Kenwood head unit fitted. One of the modern ones with Apple CarPlay etc. For bluetooth connectivity and all that to make the road trip that bit more enjoyable in regards good tunes via spotify, hand free calls in the areas where there was reception and have navigation via Google maps.

We got to Canmore after 4 easy and relaxing days travel. We slept in the car on 3 of the 4 night. We bought a 4" thick memory foam mattress from Canadian Tire and trimmed it around the rear strut towers to fit.

It worked amazingly well, we both slept soundly on it.

While in Canmore I picked up a cheap second hand roof box for that extra bit of storage space.

There are some little issues on my to-do list in order to have everything the way I want. I've forwarded the list to the garage and they are happy to undertake the work when I get back to Vancouver. The list is as follows

Fix coolant leak/ upgrade pipes to Grimmspeed etc
• Outside temperature sensor
• Second key fob doesn’t work
• Fit new window rubbers (gussets)
• Re-fit front mud flaps, catching in reverse/ stick out further than rear ones
• Check for oil leaks
• Oil smell after hard acceleration
• New passenger side window motor
• Sticky sunroof
• Fit AOS
• Fix EVAP fault
• New fuel cap
• Upgrade head light and fog light bulbs

Possibly fit new springs and a 1 inch lift spacers...

I have since purchased the Grimmspeed radiator hoses along with their intercooler hoses and bonnet strut kit.

So that is the to do list as it stands. I think I might go with a Ralitek lift kit with 1 inch spacers and a 1" spring lift too.
Any feed back on their kit would be welcome along with any lifting advice.

I've also ordered the JDM parts to enable the fitment of the head unit to the top of the dash where the cubby box is at the moment.

I've been in contact with RocketRally in Squamish too regarding a tune, up pipe and down pipe fitment, but I cant see that happening until the new year at the earliest.

That's it for now, thanks for reading
Tom

Damage to the Legacy

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have attached the complete information from the for sale add below, the seller forgot to mention that he had 2 new rear struts fitted also. He realised this when putting winter tyres on the car for us.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few shots of the parts fitted at the shop before we left for our road trip, Koyorad, Trans oil cooler, Moroso oil pick up pipe, Toyo winter tyres and a picture of the hitch before it was mounted.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We had a small coolant leak while on the road, just keeping the coolant topped up until we get the pipe replaced

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I managed to get to a few niggling issues over the last week while I was back on Canadian soil.
I had a rattle caused by the exhaust hitting the receiver hitch. I stopped by Buget brakes and muffler and for 20 bucks they sorted the issue.
I replaced the headlight bulbs with a set I picked up at Lordco. They're an improvement over what was fitted but still lacking in performance compared to projector style headlights.
I've replaced the front window gusset's. The wind noise was bad at anything above 70kph. Don't notice wind noise now until travelling at over 100kph and even then it's not as intrusive.
The little light buld that illuminates the shift gate was blown so I got a replacement from Lordco for 4 bucks for 2 builds.
I bought a replacement passenger side window motor from Lordco for 190 bucks, but when I fitted it, it was dead, so I refitted the old slow motor until the replacement unit arrives with the local Lordco.
I picked up a couple of licence plate covers at the local Canadian Tire. I didn't like the naked plate look so I fitted these for now.

Still waiting on the Anderson Design Fab 2 inch lift kit to arrive. Due today according to the tracing info but I'm at the airport, on my way back to work.

I still have to replace the coolant hose. I've tightened the clamps and stopped the leak but the hose looks past it's best so time for a new one.
The car will be back at the shop I bought it from on the 10th of December to fix the EVAP fault and have the IAG air oil separator fitted.

Car is due an oil change in 1300km, must do some research and see which oil I should use.
It's some progress, nothing major but progress is progress right.
Pics below of the gusset part numbers and the licence plate covers etc.
20191117_152256.jpg
20191115_113228.jpg
20191117_152158.jpg
20191117_152142.jpg
20191117_152146.jpg
20191117_133116.jpg
20191117_133126.jpg
20191117_133037.jpg
20191117_133037.jpg
20191117_133044.jpg

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So a few more parts have been ordered.

I tracked down a centre armrest in the UK, that was for sale on Ebay. Bought it and had it shipped to my brother, who lives in Scotland.

There is a large scrape and a dent on the fuel filler door. Which was really annoying me. Along with the EVAP issue that makes the car slow to fill up with gas. Anyway I went back on Ebay and found a carbon fibre replacement door. From a company in Taiwan called "racingproductgroup"

Last but not least, I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and ordered a Cobb Accessport V3, model number COBAP3-SUB-002
Screenshot_20191203-123619_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191203-123735_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, car is looking good, was wondering what sort of work is involvoed in replacing the oil pick up pipe? not something i would do myself, so would have to weight up labour costs, cheers

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, car is looking good, was wondering what sort of work is involvoed in replacing the oil pick up pipe? not something i would do myself, so would have to weight up labour costs, cheers
Hi Mikey

I had the pick up pipe replaced in my car by the shop I was buying the car from.
My understanding of it is, and hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will correct me if I'm wrong, that it goes something like this...

You'll need to remove the oil pan, after you have drained the oil of course.
Probably a good idea to replace the oil pan gasket while the pan is off.
Remove the original pick up pipe and replace with an uprated item like the one I got from Moroso.
(I'm not sure on the bolt sizes so can't comment on the correct tool size required)
Re-fit the oil pan along with the new oil pan gasket, tighten all the bolts.

It would be nice to torque all the bolts to the manufacturer's specs using a torque wrench. Many people work on their cars without a torque wrench for jobs like this and it all goes without incident.

But this is a rough guide to what is involved so I'll keep it rough.

With the oil pan refitted it's time to fill up with new oil and a new oil filter while you are at it.

If you bring your car to the shop to get your oil changed, you could get them to do the pick up pipe swap as well.
It's one of those jobs that is easier to do with the car up on a lift.

That's pretty much it. Hope that helps and gives you a better idea of what's involved.
All the best
Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts