Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The check engine light has been on constantly since I got the vehicle. It recently spent months in the dealer's shop where the problem was traced to the wiring system and a bunch of components (including the wiring harness and ECM) were replaced. This didn't fix it and the dealer eventually declared the check engine light issue "unresolvable".

However, I think the problem has something to do with 4th gear. The check engine light was off when I picked the car up and didn't come on again for another 250 km on the hwy -- after I downshifted to 4th in the next city. It then went off again after the battery died and had to go back in the shop for repair on the dash gauges. Since then, following my suspicions, the check engine light has stayed off since I've stayed in the city and have avoided 4th.

How do I go about investigating this? I have some handy mechanical friends who could help me but I'm not sure where to tell them to exactly start.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,123 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Hard to believe a dealership would say a problem can't be repaired! I'd be looking for another repair facility! :wink:

What CEL codes were stored when you had it read? :confused:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

1 - 2 of 2 Posts