Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Forester X, 225K miles

AC idler pulley seized and AC belt flew off the pulleys. In the process it got in contact with Outer Timing Cover and left couple of holes in it.

I'm not ready to do timing belt replacement myself and wondering if it's ok to drive like that, with a couple of cracks in Outer Timing Cover for a while? Or am I going to kill timing belt pulleys with dust?

·
Registered
2004 Forester Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really, one crack is very close to crankshaft pulley and kind of goes behind it. I can try Epoxy Putty, but would probably need to remove crankshaft pulley and not sure how hot this area gets for Epoxy Putty not to melt.

Can crankshaft pulley be removed without removing fans and radiator?

The part for the cover which got cracked is 13570AA112 and it's cost around $50.

How much would the shop (dealer or independent shop) charge for getting just the cover replaced?

·
Registered
2004 Forester Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I'm getting the crankshaft tool from Company23 and will try to remove the pulley.

Is it possible to remove the cover and replace it without removing the radiator?

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
I'd start reading up on TB replacement, take your time, as sleepstate has shown, you can get by with a busted cover quite a while.

Then, do it right. Take out the fans AND the radiator (makes the job SOOO much easier, and hey, a free coolant flush!) Honestly, the radiator is easy. The hardest part is the transmission cooler lines..

Depending on your situation, you might choose to do the water pump too, but do the idlers etc for the TB for sure. I found a decent hole in the rear TB cover on my 2005 that had been there for a long while, only when I had everything apart for the head gasket repair. Don't sweat some holes short term.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts