Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5 XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Oil light on my 2004 forester xt has been flashing rapidly when decelerating or at an idle. When I press on the gas it stops lashing but then returns once I let off. I recently changed the oil pressure sending unit on my car after the last one failed, so initially i thought it was a bad connection. But i went back in and made sure the sensor connection was on properly and tight. not sure if maybe I messed up the installation or if maybe the new sensor is picking up a problem that the broken one wasn't.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,066 Posts
The oil pressure sender is really just a single pole switch that requires pressure to keep it "off".
At idle, the lower RPM's also mean lower oil pressure.
It may be the sender you replaced has a higher threshold for pressure which isn't being met by your engine at idle.
The other thing, is that it should be either off or on rather than flashing. It may be you bought a defective part.

·
Super Moderator
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
1,750 Posts
I read your part as correct indicated by RockAuto and WVE. Also the Subaru part number translates to that part. This is the only indication of set point pressure for the switch I can find, 3-9 psi. That's quite a range. I suspect your unit is set higher than what your car produces. For myself, I would probably try a different brand (they are cheap enough) or confirm the warm idle pressure with a temporary pressure gauge plumbed into the system.

Wheel Button Automotive wheel system Circle Font

·
Super Moderator
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
1,750 Posts
I should also point out that my manual (2010 MY, N/A, A/T) calls for a switch activation @ 2.1 psi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts