Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester MT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strangest thing. Husband replaced brakes months ago.. no problems. Axles need replacement as well as an odd clutch issue. Car was running ok with exception of feeling like clutch pedal sticking about 1/2 way. Stopped at store and car wouldn’t go anywhere. Went back next day for car and it drove fine as long as I popped clutch pedal back up with foot. Husband replaced clutch master and slave cylinders. Then, very shortly after it felt as if the brakes were locking up. If I tried to move experienced Smell of burning metal mostly on passenger front side, that’s where sound coming from and feel of most locked up coming from as well. Husband replaced both front axles. Brakes still locking up. He thinks it may be power brake booster??? Any ideas? I don’t want to keep throwing money into car and replacing it part by part; especially when not sure what problem is. Thank you.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
42,007 Posts
@First Time Forester welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Take a look at the this thread to see if your issues... symptoms are the same.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester XT
43 Posts
Just an idea, and probably a long shot; I think the clutch pedal also actuates the anti-rollback mechanism, by cable from memory. is it possible that mechanism got altered in the process of replacing the master/slave etc.?, so that it isnt registering the release of the clutch pedal? although i think they work on the back wheels. just an idea.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
379 Posts
These guys all have the right idea. Just skip to page 4 of the thread Bobby posted for pictures of how to fix it. Cost is just a single zip tie, unless you actually need a hill holder.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester XT
43 Posts
For what its worth, when mine started binding i just used WD40 on the mechanism and it didnt need the cable tie disable. i suspect mine will go again when the oil dries out though. if it is one front wheel binding then it might be a different issue but the mechanism is easy enough to access: drivers side for US, near the washer bottle and toward the fire wall (on mine)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts