Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 forester 2.5 xs

Changed the oil, replaced filter, and added ~4.5 liters of oil. When I checked the dip stick for reference it shows the level way up on the stick, like 4 or 5 times higher. How do I get it to drain down to get a good read? What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hear ya buddy, after I change the oil sometimes it's way up on the dipstick, but subsequent checks it's more in the range. Bottom line: check your dipstick, Subaru's love to burn oil (slowly).

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
593 Posts
On my '99 2.5 liter the oil dipstick tube makes a sharp bend down low to go around the flat cylinders; this has my oil dipstick always reading very high when cold - because the oil either stays or creeps up between the tube and the dipstick where they are in bent contact.

My son changed the oil and filter last year, looked up capacity and knew it would need 4.8 qts. He only added 3.5 because the dipstick showed it over full. :(

The only way to get an accurate oil reading in my car is to measure warm, like at a gas station, by pulling out the dipstick, wiping it, and setting it aside for ~4 minutes it takes to fuel. With no dipstick in place the warm oil drains off the bent part of the tube. Then re-insert dipstick and do regular oil measure. Accurate. Try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts