Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT 4EAT | 1998 2.5 MT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know I don't have many posts here, but if you check my join date I've been here for a while reading, and searching and learning. Long story short, I purchased an 04XT a couple months ago and have been loving it. Today I got an opportunity to grab a bunch of 02-07 wrx exhaust parts for cheap. 3" uppipe, 3" catless downpipe and a great looking 3" TurboXS axleback all for $200. I figured that I would be able just take the car to a shop here in town and they'd be able to throw the axleback on and I could wait until I had extra cash for a tune to install the downpipe.

I called like 5 shops in town and alot of them are booked up or just seemed perplexed or even uptight that I even asked about putting a 3" axleback onto the stock midpipe. One guy said that he'd just cut off the flange thing on the axleback and weld a new one because he didn't have the adapter gasket thing. I think that one of the shops should have a 2.5">3" gasket adapter tomorrow so I'll probably take it in there but I was curious if there was an alternative route that I could go.

I'd be glad to throw down a couple hundo if there's a better option but right now I can't afford the $600+ for a tune, which is why I was going to hold off on the downpipe. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I do have 6 cats in my house for some reason...but yeah, catless. We don't have to go through emissions anymore on this side of the river ;)

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,339 Posts
@howcanbeForester? CATless can be stinky + the exhaust may be a lot louder then you or the cops like. There's also the issue with the rear O2 sensor... as in, how are you going to address the codes you'll get without a CAT?

You need to get some advice from a local tuner.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There we go. Thanks B. I did read through the How to go faster than an STI, so I had the basics there. And yeah, I'd rather not attract the policia. I know that I want the catless uppipe though. I suppose I'll just throw the axleback on tomorrow and then continue reading.

Do you have any suggestions for tuners here in PDX?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,339 Posts
@howcanbeForester? there are lots of tuners in your area. As you can see on my signature, my '07 FSXT was tuned by COBB Surgeline:

Note that a complete dyno protune is on the expensive side! In addition, they won't allow you on the dyno if your Forester isn't 100% up to date on the maintenance.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
102 Posts
A dyno tune + having to buy an accessport + COBB tuners being EXTREMELY picky about maintenance and what mods they will tune is what drove me to opensource tuning. I've seen multiple COBB tuners that flat out refuse to tune anything catless, and will even direct you to an exclusive list of the parts they will tune. I'm sure for some it is, but for me it's not worth $1500+ to deal with some holier-than-thou tuner when there are loads of smaller shops that will happily tune opensource with whatever mods your heart desires.

OP, my advice would be to find a matching 3" midpipe, get a tune lined up (there are plenty of shops who will do an opensource e-tune for around $300), and then install all the parts at once. As for going catless, yes you will have a little more unburnt exhaust smell on startup, and it may be a tiny bit louder, but I really wouldn't worry about it. And all the CELs will be taken care of with the tune.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great perspective Galaxy thanks! I work in the IT field so technical concepts shouldn't be too much for me to handle. I'm sure after some extensive research this won't seem quite as daunting. And you've given me another term to search as well...opensource e-tune. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up getting only the axleback mounted and was gonna hold off on everything else but then just today I found an invidia catted dp from an 02-07 wrx/sti for $300!

I guess I better find a tuner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts