Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it might be time to stop using my Cobb OTS Stage 2 map.

How close can E-tuning get to E-tuning with a Dyno? I am out in the boonies.

Also, could I get more than one map and would an AP1 allow me to swap maps on the fly? I am running E15 these days due to cost but I need to be prepared for the powers that be to shut down my gas station at the drop of a hat requiring me to immediately return to 93 Octane.

I am still running a Cobb APv1 and have no plans to change that.

Any good tuners out there that I might like? No commitments here, just asking so no personal PMs about it.

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,043 Posts
How close can E-tuning get to E-tuning with a Dyno? I am out in the boonies.
Pretty close - but only if you've got a wideband installed. Ignition tables will never be perfect on just a e-tune, you need to be able to hold the engine at specific loads & speeds while reading brake torque output.

A real dyno tune is worth a couple hundred mile road trip, I'd bet there's something within striking distance of you.

Also, could I get more than one map and would an AP1 allow me to swap maps on the fly? I am running E15 these days due to cost but I need to be prepared for the powers that be to shut down my gas station at the drop of a hat requiring me to immediately return to 93 Octane.
No way to change maps "on the fly", although as you know it's possible to upload a new map in a few minutes at a gas station. Well, maybe more like 10-15 minutes with the older Accessports. :)

Or you could upgrade to a flex fuel setup. Expensive, though... new Cobb AP, different ECU, sensors & lines, etc. Almost certain it would require dyno tuning, although e15 isn't a huge difference from the e10 in normal gas. Not sure.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

I need another good tuner...per Ray...
Unfortunately the current Cobb tuner pro software does not work with the v1 Access-port, so in terms of me tuning it, it would be nearly impossible. Regarding Open Source , we do not offer E-tuning Solutions via Open Source at the moment, If you look online there are several tuners that will still offer this option for tuning though this number has substantially dropped through out the last few years.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Auto
97 Posts
You can run up to six real-time monitors on V3 and see them on the face of the display; various monitors will help prevent/diagnose problems before they occur, and let you know if you get a bad tank of gas.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, that's what I thought. I run this on my Galant VR-4 for ~$30. Yeah it's an old Palm Pilot but it works and logs quite a bit more than 6 parameters real-time.

http://mmcdlogger.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for confirming though. I am still having trouble adapting to the Subaru world. :|

·
Registered
2005 FXT
174 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I need another good tuner...per Ray...

What I’ve found is that you’ll have to research on NASIOC for a great many things, tuningwise. Finding an OS tuner there is much easier; just research tuning discussions and they will reveal themselves by good word of mouth.

I’m just starting out on the self-tuning via OS path and familiarizing myself with the Subaru way of doing things. Some things are elegant, flexible and logical, yet other things are head scratchers. I’ve self-tuned on other platforms, so I have the general concepts down.

Anyway, if you need some help, I’ll be around. We need more OS tuners here to establish a solid knowledge base from the old info and the new, providing a revival of sorts.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
364 Posts
I would highly recommend Ray at TurboTek. I have a 2015 XT and he Has done wonders. He is a perfectionist. He understands how the CVT and FA20 works and the result is a car that is not only enjoyable as a daily driver but powerful when you take it to the track. I highly recommend him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts