Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have scoured the internet to find someone who has experienced this...nothing yet that I could find.
I recently lifted my 04 Forester XS with a 2" spacer lift from ADF, and since I had a bad CV axle, swapped the passenger one out for a CarQuest axle. It immediately began making noise, though I thought from the sound it may have been my old cv on the driver's side. I swapped that one with a CarQuest CV axle as well.
Now I have both axles making the noise. It is coming from the tranny side of both axles, and the klunk it makes speeds up as I accelerate and then obviously slows down when I do. It does not make a sound in reverse, or when the clutch is in and coasting. It does not get louder when turning.
Both axles are seated well, and my old axles did not make any noise (torn boot on one).
I'm hoping for some direction on getting this fixed. Could it just be the brand of axle? I'm not even sure what's making the noise. I'm also tempted to get a pair of duralast heavy duty axles, and return the others, but wanted to isolate the issue first. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2001 Forester
884 Posts
You lifted the vehicle 2", therefore depending on the quality of the CV axle, that increases the angle the CV axles need to be able to articulate. There is a needed increased length also to help compensate for this 2" lift. I personally have never bought or used anything from Carquest, so cannot vouch for their quality of the CV axles. I bought SURTRACK/TRAKMOTIVECV Axle Shaft HD, these axles are rated HD due to their articulation as well as extra length to compensate for the lifted vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll definitely check those out. I know Duralast has an HD option as well. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I haven't run into problems with the 2" lift and stock CV axles. I ordered two new SurTrack HD axles from rockauto.com for a pretty decent price, so we'll see once I get them on. Thanks!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: put the SurTrak axles on. No issues at all. The axles from Advanced Auto must not have been oem spec and couldn't articulate enough. Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts