Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am excited to say that I am on the final stretch to having an 04 to 07 sport front end conversion completed:biggrin: There are a few small issues I need to work out and then it will be complete. Once it is complete I will create a thread and explain exactly how I did it and include pics for the steps along the way. In the mean time I want to get my car fully operational.

Okay so I am by no means an electrical expert but I do have a basic knowledge of wiring, so I am hoping others on this forums will be able to help me.

Basically I am having an issue getting the headlights to work exactly right. I am trying to get all the lights on my 06-08 light working using modified 04 wiring. The turn signal and reflector light are the exact same connection and they are long enough to be used in the two different headlights without any modification to the wiring. The parking light is at the oppposite side of the light but I converted to an LED strip and extended the wire so that works fine as well.

Basically what I am left with is converting from the:

9003 (LO/HI)

to

H1 (LO) and 9005 (HI)

I thought I understood the pinout of the 9003 and wired it how I believed it would work, but I was wrong. Currently my low beams work but when I turn on my High beams it actually dims the lights and doesn't turn on the High beams. Also the high beam indicator light is always on in the dash, regardless of if the high beam is in the on position or not. I don't remember exactly how I wired it without going to take a look at it, so I don't mind if someone just tells me how it should be wired and I will just rewire it.

Please help me fix this wiring issue so I don't have to worry about my lighting being messed up and I can focus on better things like creating a thread about how to do the 04-07 swap.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone point me in the right direction on this. I hope to be able to get this fixed up this weekend.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,497 Posts
Here's the H4/9003 connector pinout:

And there's a representative diagram of how the lights work at this post.

You should be able to feed your separate high and low bulbs simply by connecting one side of each bulb to Common + on the connector and the other side of each bulb to High or Low on the connector as appropriate.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I am going to go give it a shot.

Since I will be making custom harnesses anyway, should I also add relays and run the power from the battery? Someone mentioned this, saying It would help give a stronger brighter light.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Thanks, I am going to go give it a shot.

Since I will be making custom harnesses anyway, should I also add relays and run the power from the battery? Someone mentioned this, saying It would help give a stronger brighter light.
That's what I'd do, and am planning to do when it warms up outside! You lose over 2 volts in the stock headlight circuitry due to flimsy wiring.

You do need to be concerned about Subaru's use of the high beam filament as a sneak path to power a relay associated with the foglight. If you're going to rewire the headlights, I'd suggest you rewire the fog lights at the same time. What we have now is a tangled mess. Make it all straightforward.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have my lights working properly now and would like to now add relays, now that I know it has been wired properly.

I picked up some in expensive relays w/ connector and am hoping to be able to use these.

I have used a relay or two in the past but never for negative switched objects.

Could you please provide pointers on how to wire my headlights(low beam for now) using the relay in the picture below. If you could let me know which wires need to go where that would be great, or even just explain how I would get it to work with negative switching.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read the relay tutorial and it was very helpful, but I couldn't figure out what type of relay I have. Is it a SPDT?

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
The terminal numbers do correspond with SPDT, but the diagram is a strange one. Test it to be certain.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
That diagram matches yours, but the numbering doesn't. Nor does the current rating.

But looking at both diagrams, along with others on the manufacturer's site, I'm now leaning toward it being a simple SPST NO relay with two identically connected terminals (87) on the NO contact. Simply for convenience in wiring. The 87a notation on yours appears to be an error, as that's the Bosch number for the NC contact.

The 15A current rating on yours would also tend to support this belief, since a typical Bosch relay is good for 30-40 Amps, but in this case the current would be split between the two terminals so perhaps that's what it means.

The RL-13-2T and RL-25-2T a couple of pictures down are indeed SPDT in both diagram and numbering.

Too many uncertainties. Test it!

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X Premiu Manual
19 Posts
Help With Wiring High Beam Trigger Wire to Relay

Bottomley, thanks for your tutorials. I am prepping a 2005 Forester XS, non-turbo manual gearbox for the AlCan 5000 Winter Rally. The car is being collected here in South Carolina by the carrier for shipment to Seattle on Wednesday, so if you could furnish a quick response, I'd appreciated it.

I installed a set of Hella Rallye Compacts using the Hella wiring harness. We have it all working, initially using the Right headlight fuse for the trigger wire. This is OK, as the l Hellas do go on and off with the headlights. However, the Hellas stay on when the low beams are on.

I've wired a dozen Volvos, motorcycles & other vehicles using the Hella or Bosch relays, with no problem. This being my first Subaru has presented a challenge.

In your post with the H4/9003 connector pinout you state "You should be able to feed your separate high and low bulbs simply by connecting them from Common + to high or low respectively on the connector"

A) By this, do you mean the trigger wire to the Hella relay should be connected to both the common and the high beam wires? Assume this would
mean connecting the trigger wire to, say, common, then use a jumper wire to connect this connection to the high beam wire? Please confirm this or enlighten me.

B) If this is the case, is there a better place to make this connection other than at the headlamp connector itself? Know finding these wires after they are wrapped in a loom is difficult, but the headlamp connector itself is hard to reach. Perhaps there are some wires under the fuse box that may be more accessable.

C) Once this is sorted out, do I then need to change the terminal arrangements on the switch? One thread referred to changing these and in the process loosing the indicator lamp at the switch, but that this solved the problem.

Please advise if you can and many thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Rereading my original post I found the words "You should be able to feed your separate high and low bulbs simply by connecting them from Common + to high or low respectively on the connector.” to be kind of confusing myself. I'm going to rewrite them to say "...connecting one side of each bulb to Common + on the connector and the other side of each bulb to High or Low on the connector as appropriate."

The problem you're encountering is brought about by 'low side switching'. There's a discussion of it in this post, with links to other members' situations that were similar to yours.

The bottom line is that the fused wire is always on when the headlights are on, and switching is done by grounding one or the other bulb as required. This would produce the exact situation you describe. Connect your relay across the high beam bulb rather than from the fused wire to ground. That way it will respond exactly the same way as the high beam bulb itself.

The only other places I can think of where you could gain access to the appropriate wires would be at the switch. Otherwise, as you say, they're all wrapped in the loom.

There shouldn't be any reason to change connections at the switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK, thanks. It may be a bit clearer, but need some more.

You say 'connect one side'. I only have one trigger wire from the Hella relay. Where is this attached?

You then refer to 'each bulb'. Does this mean I attach the wire to both left & right headlamps? I think not, but referring to 'each' is not clear to my foggy brain. Perhaps you are referring to each of the two Hellas?

If you are referring to the Hella bulbs, then I suppose I need to disconnect them from the Hella relay entirely to do this. If so, will the Hella relay still work? THen, what does the trigger wire connect to?

Is a full pictorial or wiring diagram available from any source? I've not seen anthing on the fourm that pertains to my application.

Thanks so much again.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
I'm assuming that there are 4 terminals on your relay, one along each side. The two that are parallel to each other are the coil. Apply 12 volts to them and the relay closes. If they have numbers on them, one will be 85 and the other 86.

One of these needs to go to Common + and the other to the terminal for the high beam filament of that same existing headlight bulb, so that the relay will close under the same conditions that make that high beam light up. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which of those 2 terminals on the relay or whether you choose left or right side bulb to tap. You can connect either way.

The term 'each bulb' (above) referred back to the original post which dealt with replacing a dual-filament H4 bulb with separate bulbs for high and low beams. It's not relevant to your situation.

To complete the wiring, the two relay terminals that are perpendicular to each other are the contacts--the elements that get switched. One should be numbered 30 and the other 87. +12 volt power would go to one of them, the other would go to both Hellas, and the Hellas would connect to ground via a second terminal of theirs or through their mounting, however they're configured. Again, it doesn't matter which wire goes to which of those 2 terminals on the relay--unless the next paragraph applies!

If by chance you have a 5-legged relay and the center contact is also labeled 87 (not 87a!), then bring the power in through 30 and connect one of the 87s to one Hella and the other 87 to the second Hella. This is just a way of splitting the current out inside the relay so that you don't have to do it on the outside.

I'll whip out a quick diagram and add it here shortly.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Here's the diagram. It was easier to do it pretty with CAD than to scribble and erase!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bottomly, thanks.

While in church this morning listing to a pretty good sermon, my mind wandered and the concept sunk in. Not in the pretty CAD diagram, but in simple terms in my mind.

All I beleive I need to do is instead of grounding to the chassis (ground screw in the side fender), I need to ground this to the high beam headlight (red) wire. The + (common) you refer to will be a fuse tap on one of the headlamp fuse, preferably the side I chose to run the ground to.

The instructions with the Hella wiring harness do not label the relay by number, but I see it shows 4 terminals. I can only assume the Hella switch you show is powered by the fuse tap via the relay.

I can send a pdf of the Hella instructions if this would assist.

Many thanks

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
The Lord works in mysterious ways!

I'd go straight to the headlight bulb for both wires rather than using a fuse tap. A fuse tap would work, but this keeps things all together and right up near the bulbs. Granted, you'll have to run a pair of wires (18 gauge or so) back into the cabin for the switch rather than just one. Distance doesn't really matter when it comes to controlling the relay, but it's very important in the high current circuit that powers the Hellas. And I just don't like fuse taps. I think they're messy.

It doesn't actually have to be the same side for both connections since the high filaments on both sides are immediately connected together in the existing circuitry, as are the lows, but again it would be neater.

Sure, I'd like to see the Hella instructions. This is not the first time this sort of question has come up here, and I can probably give a more targeted answer if I see the language they are using rather than write in generic engineer-speak. You can upload the pdf as an attachment to your reply, and it will be here for everybody to see.

It's very likely that Hella's relay is of the standard Bosch configuration. I've been helping another member with a similar situation involving Hella horns, and that's what they used there. And he just reported success!

The easiest/safest thing to do would be to first test things out with the relay and a pair of clip leads attached from 85/86 to the correct two headlight terminals (while the headlight connector is still plugged in) . Switch the headlights between high beam and low beam and feel the relay click. Keep them on high beam, turn the headlights off and on, and again feel the relay click. Only then, cut into the wiring and make your tap. I love clip leads!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry for response delay. Trying to keep Sunday a day of rest by having a long nap. Then, I will volate this by getting on a business call at 3:30 Eastern time. Will send a scan in about an hour.

Probably will use the fuse tap for the common, primarily as the wire is already chopped to length, plus connection at the headlamp itself is going to be a real pain, the less the better here.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts