·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I need some help please

here is the story
My Temp gauge is dead
some guy in this forum offer to help to diagnose.
he hook up proscan to the obd2 connector and the ECU is sending normal coolant temperature to his laptop around 87 to 93 celcus

so we figured there are one sensor for the ECU and one sensor for the temp gauge. and we think that the sendor for the gauge for my car is dead

if our diagnostic is correct, could you please let me know how much is this coolant temp sensor normally cost? and what do you call the sensor that send the signal to the ECU? is it the same kind of sensor for both the gauge and the ECU?

I would like to know the price for this sensor so that at least when I go to the part store or subaru dealer I won't feel ripped off ... :)

and some guide on how to replace it if it easy enough I would like to try to replace it myself, save me some labour cost

thank you thank you

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I'd be surprised if there's more than one engine coolant temperature sensor, as that would add to component count, cost, and complexity. Instead, I suspect there's only one coolant sensor connected to the ECU, and the ECU in turn signals the temp gauge [and the cooling fan(s), etc.]

Check www.subarupartsonline.com, a forum sponsor, for sensor pricing info.

Check results of this Google search string for info on sensor location and replacement. For example, this link looks like it might be helpful.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Both the gauge AND the ECU sensor are in the SAME package screwed into that coolant crossover pipe. ( 99 to current that is ). 98 and prior are also in that crossover, but they are 2 SEPARATE sensors.

That said, on the 04 NA 2.5L, it's on the passenger rear side of that crossover pipe. On the passenger side of the ignition coil, you will see a ground lug on the intake manifold. Just below that point, under the manifold is a bundle of wires. Right below that bundle is your sensor.

VERY DIFFICULT to change without removing the intake. Remember to drain some coolant also. It does go directly into the coolant flow.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
88 Posts
Hey

I tested the sensor I thought would send to signal to the gauge on my car, it doesn't affect the gauge. So since you ECM is seeing correct temps the problem should be in the wiring or gauge. I will e-mail you the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
2006 Forester Automatic 4 speed
56 Posts
2006 Forester X

Hello... I have a 2006 Forester X with the same issue. I get a reading from obd2, but not gauge. I was just curious if this is an issue multiple people are having... Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Forester Automatic 4 speed
56 Posts
Part 3

OK... I have a 2006 Forester X. I bought the car with a blown engine. I put an engine from a 2008 impreza non turbo... I installed the engine and everything works but the temperature gauge. When I check via OBD2 I have a signal. The temperature gauge on the impreza engine is a 2 prong harness. The original 06 Forester sensor is PN 22630AA161 which is 3 prong. Is this the cause of my issue? What is the difference in these sensors?
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
@soycory Did you ever solve this problem? i ran into the same thing. 07 Outback auto engine into an 07 forester manual chassis. the outback engine i dropped in is a 2 wire ECT and the forester chassis is looking for a 3 wire signal. Please help if you can....

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,446 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts