Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
my04 forester xt 5 spd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plenty of time available presently, so why not do the VF39 upgrade with all the fixin's on my 04 FXT? I've had the exhaust, the up-pipe, fresh hoses and clamps and most critically, the Cobb Accessport v3sub02 for some time now. (this HAD the different stage MAPS for ACN fuel and the VF39 upgrade available.) This feature is really the only reason for my decision to upgrade performance with Cobb.
Now those MAPS are gone, deleted by Cobb without warning about a month ago according to their email response.
Seems the Brass at Cobb have been pondering this for a short spell. Their solution? Contact an authorized Cobb Protuner and get a tune!
Just a heads-up to y'all who've gone Cobb to check what you've got loaded in your AP before you invest any more time or money and be careful what you update!
And those of you on the fence to go Cobb or not, please also consider.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD
4,642 Posts
@slvskunk COBB has made a move in order to prevent possible failure on many older models. The older ECU's arent as smart or as proactive as one would think, and with the ever-increasing likelihood of old, fading parts on these cars, it really is a smarter move to have it professionally looked at prior to being tuned. COBB develops their OTS maps using mechanically sound and checked out vehicles in a stringently controlled environment. The case may not be the same for the average user who may have aged parts that are, or are about to fail on them. Because of these inconsistent unknowns, its not a smart move to just throw a 'generalized' map at the car and hope for the best. I have noticed an alarming amount of mechanical issues with pre-08 models now that still retain much of their original components aside from bolt-ons. For me, that then becomes a matter of not only troubleshooting the issue, but then having to get said said components replaced, whether it be a dying fuel pump, a clogged injector, a sluggish ECBS , exhaust leaks (pre turbo) or just overall neglected maintenance items. Had a shelf map just been thrown at said vehicle, it would be a matter of just "when" a new engine would be on order.

Your only other option is opensource, but even then, you have to know what you are looking at and what you are uploading to your ECU before trusting a random staged map, or it could suffer the same fate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts