Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm rebuilding this '04 XT w/EJ255. The guy I Bought it from said it had a blown turbo (*confirmed). I've been posting stuff on the rebuild over here.

However, What to do when the AIR-SIDE of the turbo sends shrapnel down the pipe toward the intercooler?

Has anyone ever had this experience? What did you do to clean out all of the oil, mess and metal garbage blown into your intercooler?
This is what came out of mine. Sure glad I opened it up!

I made up a 5 gallon bucket of DAWN dish soap and HOT water and fast-poured it into the output. Then, I chased it with the leaf blower! Rinsed and repeated.
Tons of crap came out. This is only a small sample (*above). After the 3rd application, it looks like I got most or all of it.

Ever had this experience? What did you do? I thought about buying a used one off ebay but, they are probably from vehicle with the same problems.

Thanks in advance!

inthefrey

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And what of the particulate that got through to the engine?
Good question and, I honestly don't know.
Just finished taking the engine almost completely apart. The "shrapnel" was aluminum as none of it collected on a magnet I placed in the junk I got out of the intercooler. The oil pan appeared to have never been pulled and there was significant trash in it from 135K miles. Lots of little silicone bits and a few shiny bits. none were "magnetic" The pan got a thorough cleaning with degreaser, hot water and the pressure washer. Looked like new when I was done.

To your point, I'm sure SOME of the really fine bits probably got through to oil pickup. There is really no safety system to prevent this. However, with all the blown turbos out there, as long as it didn't get past the oil filter, I'm hoping all will be okay. The engine was running when I bought it. We'll see. Wish me luck!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
...as long as it didn't get past the oil filter, I'm hoping all will be okay.
I was thinking of shrapnel impacting the valves and combustion chamber.
It was running before or after the turbo bit it?

As far as intercooler cleaning, since it is a radiator, or sorts, I wonder if it could be treated the same way: be "rodded" out where the ends are removed and a thin rod and/or brush is inserted through each tube to push through accumulated debris.

Depending on the condition of the core, the end "tanks" are reinstalled on the old core, or a new core, if needed.

Any local radiator shops near you?
Idea of costs of new, reman IC's?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've now almost completely reassembled the engine. Had the heads off and decked, did the valve seals myself and applied a basic lapping. The cylinders were smooth and in great shape. I did not "see" and evidence of the catastrophic destruction. (*the shaft broke on the turbo exhaust side and shot the exhaust impeller down the exhaust pipe. The mangled the bearing and seal which, I guess cause the intake impeller to scrape the case.
I looked into the "core" of the intercooler and the construction appears to be wide channels with extremely fine wires arranged in a mesh across these openings - thousands of them I would guess. It doesn't look anything like any liquid radiator guts I've ever seen. I'm hoping this acts as a natural screen and, if there's anymore junk it it, I hope it stays there. The "tanks" are plastic and are captured (crimped) onto the intercooler. getting them off would not be easy. RalliTek wants $700 for an aftermarket replacement.

Got a re-manufactured turbo here https://www.vividracing.com/-p-151920516.html . Got it yesterday, nice looking unit.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Fingers crossed...turn it over ,by hand( spark plugs not installed) and after triple checking timing belt and cam alignments.
Compression check after plugsinstall...
...Then give er a rip from the starter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts