Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there! I just bought a used forester 2004 and have to do some work on it. this will be my first time changing radiator hoses so I just want to get some opinions before i get started. I've read a lot about avoiding tightening the clamps too tight, which makes sense. My question is how do I know when "too tight" is "too tight"
This may be self explanatory once i get going but figured i would ask before hand just in case. Thanks a heap, any other advice is also appreciated for a new DIY mechanic to be.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,971 Posts
@Sarahhall95 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

No specifics on the radiator clamp torque in the Subaru technical service manual. It's one of those that you have to do by "feel". Tighten, but not too tight & check for leaks or seeping. If issues, tighten a bit more.

Curious... why are you replacing the radiator hoses? We have the original hoses on both our Foresters.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: Sarahhall95

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,252 Posts
Always double clamps and don't totally overtighten. Don't have a clamp on top of the ridge wgere the hose slides onto. I prefer the original spring clamps and always keep them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts