Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 2.5 AT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t figure out what this plug is supposed to be for. And the car won’t start. Turns and acts like it wants to start but it’s not right when it turns over. I think it’s the map sensor. But it’s located at the firewall not where the air box is.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sleeve Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
1,374 Posts
MAP would be Manifold Absolute Pressure.

MAF would be Mass Air Flow

I don't know if Subaru used MAP or MAF in 2004. My personal experience with Subaru only goes back to 2010 model year. That was MAF.

MAF would be in the air duct somewhere after the air filter. If the ducting is missing, so would the MAF sensor.

MAP would be mounted in the intake manifold, or connected via a hose.

I think mostly Chrysler used MAP sensors in their Speed Density fuel management. Most others used MAF.

FWIW, my 2010 would start and idle just fine with the MAF sensor unplugged.

Hopefully someone more familiar with the older models chimes in.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 2.5 AT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MAP would be Manifold Absolute Pressure.

MAF would be Mass Air Flow

I don't know if Subaru used MAP or MAF in 2004. My personal experience with Subaru only goes back to 2010 model year. That was MAF.

MAF would be in the air duct somewhere after the air filter. If the ducting is missing, so would the MAF sensor.

MAP would be mounted in the intake manifold, or connected via a hose.

I think mostly Chrysler used MAP sensors in their Speed Density fuel management. Most others used MAF.

FWIW, my 2010 would start and idle just fine with the MAF sensor unplugged.

Hopefully someone more familiar with the older models chimes in.
Man thanks bro

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
20,308 Posts
The DRL resistor is located back there and has a short cable. But I'm not sure about that connector. It looks like it has 4 contacts, and the resistor would only need 2. Anyway, DRL problems shouldn’t interfere with starting.

So it’s pretty unlikely, but at least worth a look.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
42,704 Posts
I can’t figure out what this plug is supposed to be for. And the car won’t start. Turns and acts like it wants to start but it’s not right when it turns over. I think it’s the map sensor. But it’s located at the firewall not where the air box is.
The MAP sensor is located on the throttle body.

I'm going to guess that connector is for the front, upstream A/F O2 sensor?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
42,704 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts