Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2004 - BOV and CAT questions?

('03-'05) 
689 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Galaxywide 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,
I have been doing some reading throughout this forum for about a year now, never needed to post until now.... I seem to have stumbled onto a 2004 Forerster XT 2.5 that doesn't match other FXT's. This may sound odd, but several things don't seem to match up to others, and I was wondering if any of you happen to know why this is or have found aftermarket companies that address the differences.
So what I have found so far is this:
The 04 FXT TMIC is different than 05 and up. The recirculating valve is smaller in the diameter and bolt pattern than an 05. I found this out through trail and error sadly, my FXT when bought had a crack in the top hat of the valve (looked like someone took it off and dropped it from high up). I went to a local salvage yard who had 3 FXT's. All three were 2005. I bought one, came home and went to bolt it on... too big. Returned and repeated this process for all of the valves they had. I then jumped on the trusty internet, searched some parts and was even willing to use a BOV (I know, I've read the concerns and worries... thank you all for the input.) Waited a week or so, go it in and guess what... to big. Really confused I dug into the forums, seeking posts about 2004 FXT's. Read all of the BOV, valve posts on this forum and others. No one seems to mention having different sizes.
When searching company websites I found that the BOV or recirc. valves are all listed with the same part number.
Final step was calling the Subaru Dealership. They tell me there is no difference in part numbers.....

About my FXT. Is was one owner before I bought it. Came from Colorado with a car fax detailing maintenance done at a Subaru Dealership, all oil changes and everything. Nothing appears to have been changed on the XT from that owner.
In addition to the valve size being different, I have found the exhaust to be different. I have an additional CAT that doesn't appear on exhaust diagrams directly after the turbo before the bend under the firewall. So on my XT my downpipe has a CAT... .

Any help or advice would be very helpful. Thank you.
Eric

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: Galaxywide
#3 ·
With regard to the BPVs, as per both online subaru parts diagrams and opposedforces.com, the 04 FXT uses 14471AA1609L, along with the 04-05 Baja turbo. The 05-08 FXTs use 14471AA143, along with the STI and most (all?) other turbo subarus of that era. Whoever at the dealership told you they were the same is just plain wrong, and I'd probably not trust them on anything else after that.

As well as the different BPV, the hose is also totally different, and the bolt patterns don't match up. Plenty of info out there on this, as I found when I swapped to a 08+ STI TMIC on my 04 FXT.

And sleeper is correct, the 04-05 FXTs had both uppipe and downpipe cats, while the 06-08's omitted the uppipe cat. It probably won't show up on a diagram because it is built into the up/downpipe, instead of being a seperate part. To my knowledge all subaru OEM downpipes have cats in them.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.