Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in AZ now and do very little or no driving in snow, although I'd still like an all-season tire in case I go up into the mountains. My Forester rides VERY rough--always has since I got it, so I don't know if it's the current tires and/or something else. In any case, the tires are cracked and I need new ones anyway. Looking for quiet, smooth ride. Tire size is P215/60R16. A brief online search led to Goodyear All Season Assurance ComforTred Touring. Any ideas about those, or other suggestions? They would also have to withstand 110 deg summer heat and sun. Thanks.

·
Supporting Vendor
865 Posts
There are many solid choices for your Subaru depending on your priorities. All tires are a product of compromise, meaning there is not one tire that is the best in every category. We would be happy to go over some options for you if you would like some assistance. We happen to be in AZ as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Car is aligned. I had a 2002 Forester with AT tires that were much quieter and smoother than my current Forester, but that car is long gone and I don't recall what tires were on it--Coopers I think but I don't remember the type. My current 2004 Forester is almost like new--bought it 3 years ago from a friend with 35K miles on it (he rarely drove it) and I have not put many more miles on it, so it's not an "old" car in that way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I replaced the Michelins on my Camry with Goodyear ComforTred Tourings, and would have gone back to the Michelins had I not replaced the Camry with the Forester. The ComforTreds did not feel as precise as the Michelins when making small steering corrections. The Camry had over 200k on it, so it may have been some weird interaction with the old/loose suspension, but this was my experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8000 miles no noise.
8000 miles no noise.
I replaced the Michelins on my Camry with Goodyear ComforTred Tourings, and would have gone back to the Michelins had I not replaced the Camry with the Forester. The ComforTreds did not feel as precise as the Michelins when making small steering corrections. The Camry had over 200k on it, so it may have been some weird interaction with the old/loose suspension, but this was my experience.
Thank you. I've been seeing other not-so-positive reviews about the Goodyears, so I'll not consider those. I always wonder about Michelins -- they typically are quite expensive and I wonder if you're really getting what you pay for. I don't drive a lot, so I don't want to spend an unnecessary amount of $ on tires, but I do want decent ones for those times I do take a trip, or drive on lousy bumpy street roads.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ichelins -- they typically are quite expensive and I wonder if you're really getting what you pay for. I don't drive a lot, so I don't want to spend an unnecessary amount of $ on tires, but I do want decent ones for those times I do take a trip, or drive on lousy bumpy street roads.
I typically purchase through Costco when they are on sale.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I typically purchase through Costco when they are on sale.
Yes I was hoping to get tires through Costco! I need to check if/when they're having a sale. Are you talking about Michelins or other makes? Can you recommend which ones? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm in AZ now and do very little or no driving in snow, although I'd still like an all-season tire in case I go up into the mountains. Looking for quiet, smooth ride.
I always wonder about Michelins -- they typically are quite expensive and I wonder if you're really getting what you pay for.
You might want to look at the Michelin Defender T+H which is one of Michelin's less expensive tires. Consumer Reports tested 22 all-season tires and this Michelin was their #2 recommended tire. It scored "excellent" for road noise. We, too, live in the hot Arizona desert and my wife has had these Michelins on her Honda Accord for several years without any problems. She drives I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix every other week, so these Michelins have been AZ-heat tested.

BTW, CR's top scoring all-season tire is the General Altimax RT43 (T). It's a relatively inexpensive tire and has been recommended by some on this forum. Compared to the Michelin T+H this General scored "very good" for road noise by CR. Both tires scored "good" for ride comfort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You might want to look at the Michelin Defender T+H which is one of Michelin's less expensive tires. Consumer Reports tested 22 all-season tires and this Michelin was their #2 recommended tire. It scored "excellent" for road noise. We, too, live in the hot Arizona desert and my wife has had these Michelins on her Honda Accord for several years without any problems. She drives I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix every other week, so these Michelins have been AZ-heat tested.

BTW, CR's top scoring all-season tire is the General Altimax RT43 (T). It's a relatively inexpensive tire and has been recommended by some on this forum. Compared to the Michelin T+H this General scored "very good" for road noise by CR. Both tires scored "good" for ride comfort.
Thanks much. That is very helpful. That drive between Tucson - Phoenix on I-10 is ... well, I do it only when really necessary! Costco is having a sale on Michelins this month so I'll check if they have those. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes I was hoping to get tires through Costco! I need to check if/when they're having a sale. Are you talking about Michelins or other makes? Can you recommend which ones? Thanks.
I've only run the Michelins when purchasing from Costco. Current Michelin sale runs through end of the Oct 1. The Primacy Tour A/S and Premier A/S are $884 and $779, respectively, installed. I think you can order others, but haven't done this myself so you'd need to check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My local Costco doesn't stock the Michelin Defender T+H but can order them at the sale price.
Hmm, i just got Costco quotes for the Premier A/S and Tour A/S for considerably less $ than that, after the coupon. Even the non-sale price was less. I didn't ask about Defenders. Will need to do some more checking. Do you have any thoughts about those tires vs the Defenders? The Costco guy said the Premiers are quieter (60Kmile warranty) than the Tours (80K mile) but $100 more expensive. Will have to look up Defenders.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
CR didn't test the Primacy Tour A/S but they did test the Premier A/S. CR scored the Premier A/S road noise as "very good" which is a notch below the Defender T+H "excellent". The Defender T+H also scored higher in snow traction. All other categories were scored the same and neither tire scored "fair" or "poor" in any category.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CR didn't test the Primacy Tour A/S but they did test the Premier A/S. CR scored the Premier A/S road noise as "very good" which is a notch below the Defender T+H "excellent". The Defender T+H also scored higher in snow traction. All other categories were scored the same and neither tire scored "fair" or "poor" in any category.
Great info. Thanks. Looks like I may be asking Costco about the Defenders.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great info. Thanks. Looks like I may be asking Costco about the Defenders.
So--after input from various people on Defenders vs Premier A/S (some conflicting) -- I'm wondering which tire gives a smoother, gentler ride and also quiet? Perhaps I"m mistaken, but I've been thinking that smooth ride and road nose would go hand-in-hand, but maybe they are different considerations? Right now my Forester has a very harsh ride and every tiny bump is felt and heard.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Costco sells a Michelin tire called the X-Tour A/S T+H which is identical to the Defender, according to Michelin. It is sold only through clubs like Costco and Sam's. We've had a set on our 2015 Forester for about a year, including two major road trips, and we're very happy with them in all respects, including noise. The improvement in noise and ride quality was immediately noticeable, but keep in mind the transition was from the worn-out OEM Geolandars.

Besides the great deal on the tires and installation, we've been back once for the free rotation, which required no appointment and was done while we shopped.

I had the old version of the Defender on my Scion xB for many years and they were also great.

Around here, Costco does not stock the Defender, but "can order them." In our case, the wait was weeks that we couldn't afford.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts