Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2004 Forester X
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new to this forum. So i dont know if this is the right place. But here it goes.

I have a 2004 forester 2.5 non turbo automatic. I am replacing the ball joint. Everything was going fine, i got the ball joint out of the knuckle and just had to get it out of the lower control arm. I used a pickle fork and BAM! Big pop when it came out (darn rust) and after that the knuckle and control arm are not even close to being lined up. Now my assembly has a toe in and what looks like a negative camber. I tried to loosen the tie rod to make the toe in go away but it didnt work at all.

Could it be the axel or the knuckle itself? Should i try to adjust the camber and then just get an alignment done afterwords? (The camber is rusted down so hard.

Has this happened to anyone? Thank you for any advice or help!
AE2F8BB9-B7A5-4D4A-A300-3DBDE2F84CB7.jpeg 84D43FFA-1A9E-4B41-9D72-14493EC4C3AC.jpeg 8B32F82D-C62B-43D8-948F-C3670DF4301B.jpeg B2DD403D-49BB-4692-9DD0-748CECE8303F.jpeg

Registered
2006 WRX wagon 2009 FXT
No big deal. Glad you had a successful removal of the ball joint in the first place.

You can push the knuckle assembly towards the vehicle. Probably some play in the CV joints. Push the bottom in while you pull the top. It should line right back up.

Use some anti-seize in the ball joint cup of the knuckle, that bolt that threads through the knuckle as well as the ball joint shaft that inserts into the control arm.

Best of luck rest of the way!

Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
It's possible that the inner joint of your CV shaft got over extended and won't pop back in (preventing you from compressing it).

Unfortunately, this may mean that you may have to remove the inner CV boot and align the components properly.

Registered
2004 Forester X
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried pushing it in but it wouldn't budge.

How would i be able to know if the cv axel popped out? Take off the inner boot? If it is pulled out am i able to push it back in? Or just put a new cv shaft in ?

Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
You can generally see it based on how extended the boot is, and you can probably feel the bearings inside, but that takes a bit of experience to do, I'm not sure how to explain it. You should be able to push it back in, but you might need to wiggle/fiddle it to get it to align again before it will go back together.

Registered
2004 Forester X
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. Ill try and push a little more and wiggle it. Ill also post a photo of the axels/cv boots to see if ya'll can see anything out of place.

Thanks again for all the responses

Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
When the inner CV joint is compressed all the way, it looks like the outer one. When it's "extended too far", you can usually see that the boot is quite stretched and if it's really "lumpy".
You can also sort of move it side to side, which is NOT how it's supposed to move. Think "dislocated joint"...
If you're lucky, you can slide it back in with a little wiggling.

If you can NOT slide the shaft in and out freely about an inch, you know it's "out". (yes, I know that sounds dirty...)

Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
The inner joint in the first pick looks like it could be extended out judging by the boot. This has happened to me before too, a few times actually. You want to kinda twist and push the axle inward. You are trying to both line up and push in the cv joint. When it's lined up it should go in with minimal force.

I could be wrong on the joint being out, but the boot does give me that impression.

Registered
2004 Forester X
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: yes! That was the issue. The tripod joint had been pulled from the transmission. We just took out the axel put the joint back in and reassembled it. Now its time for an alignment. My wheels straight means a steering wheel crooked. Thank you for all the help! Rock n roll!

Registered
'04 2.5fxt '07 sti block project
So I had this cv axel thing happen to me when I was putting on new struts. Im a dummy and got it figured out so I have confidence in you. Literally just play with the axel inside the boot. Just move it up down back and forth until you feel it slide back into place. I just messed with it for like 3 minutes and got it back in there. Hopefully that gets you where you need to go.

Registered
'04 2.5fxt '07 sti block project
Sorry, I see im giving advice on an already fixed issue. See! Told ya! Totally dummy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts