Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at upgrading my stereo so that I am in the 21st century. The lack of AUX jack is really killing me. So I've been checking out new aftermarket head units and many of them have the ability to integrate with stock steering wheel controls. Of course the '04 doesn't have any.....which brings me to the point.

Now I'm looking at swapping the steering wheel for one from an '06 that does have steering controls....or maybe an impreza or something. The biggest problem that I'm encountering is whether or not the roll connector (clockspring) in my vehicle has the additional connector for the controls like the '06 does.

I haven't been able to really get an answer to that question so far. I have definitely seen that the '06 has the extra connector and I was under the impression that '04-'06 were almost all the same. Sounds like I could be wrong.

So if the '04 clockspring doesn't have the extra connector, are the '04 and '06 similar enough that I could swap the clockspring from an '06 to my '04.

If I get around to taking apart my steering wheel before I hear from anyone here (not likely) then I'll have an answer to my first question.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Nathan

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your question, maybe someone else can chime in on that. It's easy enough to pop off the airbag and visually inspect the clockspring connectors. That's what I would do.

You run into the issue of 06+ airbags going dual stage also. Not sure if that affects the clockspring at all.

Here's my experience swapping a Legacy GT spec.B wheel into my 2006. If nothing else you can reference your connectors versus mine: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...006-xt-roo-ii-118184/index39.html#post1386512

·
Registered
9 Posts
If anyone stumbles accross this thread, I can confirm that the 2004 Forester Does NOT have the extra connector for steering wheel controls. The 06+ does have it, however the mouting points for the clockspring are different so it is not a straight swap.

2006 clockspring:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Aircraft engine Auto part
2004 clockspring:
Motor vehicle Personal protective equipment Safety glove Service Hazmat suit

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
808 Posts
If you have Android head units, not head units that support Android Auto although they do, it may be easier to retrofit Bluetooth:
White Light Automotive lighting Font Rim
or even wired steering wheel controls, like this one:
White Product Musical instrument accessory Font Tool
Search for “steering wheel controls” on AliExpress as an example.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts