Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester X
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi is the second to third supposed to be a little rough. Like it revs up a bit before shifting

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
713 Posts
on my '99 I find that it revs high in the morning before shifting 2 - 3 and maybe 3 - 4 (AT), but that if I let it idle to warm up before driving off it doesn't do this. Once temp gauge gets 'almost to usual level' it shifts normally.

So start the car, then go back inside and get stuff ready for the day before driving off... Hope this helps

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,607 Posts
on my '99 I find that it revs high in the morning before shifting 2 - 3 and maybe 3 - 4 (AT), but that if I let it idle to warm up before driving off it doesn't do this. Once temp gauge gets 'almost to usual level' it shifts normally.

So start the car, then go back inside and get stuff ready for the day before driving off... Hope this helps
That high rev for the 2-3 shift in the morning disappears without warming up by driving about 1/4 mile definitely gone by the 1/2 mile point. It's purposely programmed into the TCU to facilitate engine and transmission warm-up. However if you leave the engine idling to warm-up the engine, only the engine warms-up, the transmission and it's fluid are not being warmed-up at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,607 Posts
so i got nothing worry about okay cause afterward it shifts normally.
Yup, the 4EAT transmission is a really robust one. My 2001 Forester has shifted that way since I bought the vehicle. It's towed 3300 lb trailer from Philadelphia, PA to Austin, TX, almost 1800 miles, without needing a transmission cooler. Since that tow in 2001, I have changed the fluid about 3 times now using the drain and refill method. The transmission now has 217,000 miles and still going.

·
Registered
2004 Forester X
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay cause the guys at the dealership scared me like I love my boxy and I already swamped the engine

·
Registered
2004 Forester X
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, the 4EAT transmission is a really robust one. My 2001 Forester has shifted that way since I bought the vehicle. It's towed 3300 lb trailer from Philadelphia, PA to Austin, TX, almost 1800 miles, without needing a transmission cooler. Since that tow in 2001, I have changed the fluid about 3 times now using the drain and refill method. The transmission now has 217,000 miles and still going.

I made two videos of it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts