1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am looking to buy a 2004-2008 forester XT
I'm currently looking for one with:

under 150k miles
preferably not modded, but if there's not many and they are done well I would consider it.
I would prefer a 5-speed, but if you have a really clean auto I could maybe be swayed
Any color is fine except for tan
A good maintenance history
Rust free

I am located in Ohio, but am willing to drive a fair ways

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Greetings,
I'm afraid I can't help you; my 2007 Sports XT (<55k miles) has some rust underneath.
Just out of curiosity, is "rust free" a realistic expectation in an 11-15 year old car? I was thinking of posting my 2007 for sale once I got its replacement lined up, but if rust is considered a deal breaker, I'll save myself the trouble and take whatever trade-in I can get.

I've posted a few pictures on my garage page. The rust is probably further along than you'd like. Last time I had it serviced, the mechanic noted that the exhaust system is getting a little iffy, but nothing that required immediate action. Anyway, good luck- it's a great car.

I've included some pictures from underneath in the posting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a fair point. By rust free I generally meant that I would prefer not to have the rear wheels covered in rust or the chassis to be disintegrating underneath of me. So your car probably qualifies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noticed one for sale on craigslist just this weekend in Redding CA, by a Auto sales company... 110,000 miles. new or just replaced engine. Looks like a fair deal- good luck

·
Registered
561 Posts
@nathor404 My 04 auto will be on the block soon, 95k, 2 owner, mild mods-up/down/street tune/bars/17" rims/tower brace-what sube should have done originally. Slight gas door rust, an easy fix, orig paint otherwise, no cancer underneath. Cosmetically a 7.5. Needs your choice of tires and a couple issues but none major and did I mention 95k?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Greetings,
I'm afraid I can't help you; my 2007 Sports XT (<55k miles) has some rust underneath.
Just out of curiosity, is "rust free" a realistic expectation in an 11-15 year old car? I was thinking of posting my 2007 for sale once I got its replacement lined up, but if rust is considered a deal breaker, I'll save myself the trouble and take whatever trade-in I can get.

I've posted a few pictures on my garage page. The rust is probably further along than you'd like. Last time I had it serviced, the mechanic noted that the exhaust system is getting a little iffy, but nothing that required immediate action. Anyway, good luck- it's a great car.

I've included some pictures from underneath in the posting.
Surprised the OP wasn’t all over your XT. Rare to find one with that mileage and, apart from the exhaust, the underneath is pretty good for a 12 year old car in a northern state.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@poffer Unfortunately, this is a case where the car is a bit too nice and low mileage and therefore out of my budget by a couple grand. You're right though, it's a great car.

·
Registered
231 Posts
@nathor that’s a shame. It is very similar to mine (2006 XT manual) which is a hoot to drive. Raid the kid’s college fund (unless your a college kid, in which case you can raid your own :lol: )

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey thanks- finally a little love for the old Sports XT. :) Haven't seen any public responses to the "for sale" post yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm sure you've seen mine, a bit further away than you'd want I'm sure, and 170k, and with its share of mods but everything was very well done.

Overall I think my car is very nice and in good shape, but I recognize it may not be what you're looking for.

It's got some rust on the frame, but nothing too bad, and the body is free of rust.

I am always willing to make a good road trip and could probably meet you somewhere if you were interested.

Feel free to message me if interested, otherwise good luck with the search, I'm sure you'll find something just right with a little bit of waiting.

Thanks,
Paul

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
California is a bit too far for me, an 8 hour drive is probably my max
Is PA with in your driving range?

05 XT, PSM, 5mt, old man owned from new, 126k miles.. Premium package..
Timing belt done 4,500 miles ago, along with tires, new brake pads and front rotors.... Amongst other maintenance items.
Troy

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
2007 Black FXT Limited, Automatic. 120,000 miles, California car, currently in Washington DC with me, shipped over in 2016 due to a military move. All stock except for Whiteline Sway bars and Forester Swift Springs (I have receipts for everything). Full timing belt service done at 105,000 miles. I have full service records and receipts dating back to regular 6 month maintenance under warranty at Subaru dealership in Santa Monica, CA, all work done at mechanics besides a few oil changes in 2013-2015 when I still had a garage in California. Car very well maintained, parts have often been replaced by OEM subaru parts when necessary. Car has been washed well these past 2 winters after every snow/salt event. New rotors and brake pads. New tires when I moved to DC. Car is wrapped in flat blue vinyl for protection when I moved from California, but it can be peeled off whenever. The wrap is still in good condition as well. Also, 2004 STI BBS wheels. Direct message me if interested!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
Smolt-8404
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing