Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru STI 6 Speed Manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t had much luck finding an FXT manual in so cal with my budget (but my budget doesn’t allow for too much) so now I’m on the fence of buying an FXT auto (but I’m gonna miss the manual) or buy a non-turbo Forester 2.5 manual. Anyone have the same dilemma or opinions about the options?

I hope I put this in the right forum topic. If not I’ll be happy to remove. Thank you!

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
For my money a turbo trumps a manual. Even despite the lack of a manual gearbox you will enjoy the XT way more. I had to make the same decision last year. And while I do miss my WRX with a manny, and being able to decide which gear I want to be in, I got over my left foot being bored rather quickly. Plus with the auto being a four speed, the transmission isn't constantly hunting for a gear like most newer cars with 6, 8, or 10 gears. Though it is eager to short shift to keep the revs down. Another point to consider, a automatic XT is far less likely to have been ragged on by some uncaring dolt.

Lastly, there is no real way to easily extract any extra ponies out of the 2.5 N/A. While the automatic XT is still an XT!

·
Administrator
15,190 Posts
The XT also suffered less from head gasket issues.

Yes, I'd go for the auto XT (XTs hadn't been released when I purchased my MY'03)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For my money a turbo trumps a manual. Even despite the lack of a manual gearbox you will enjoy the XT way more. I had to make the same decision last year. And while I do miss my WRX with a manny, and being able to decide which gear I want to be in, I got over my left foot being bored rather quickly. Plus with the auto being a four speed, the transmission isn't constantly hunting for a gear like most newer cars with 6, 8, or 10 gears. Though it is eager to short shift to keep the revs down. Another point to consider, a automatic XT is far less likely to have been ragged on by some uncaring dolt.

Lastly, there is no real way to easily extract any extra ponies out of the 2.5 N/A. While the automatic XT is still an XT!

Thank you for the input. You make a great point. Although I would miss the manual I wouldn’t want to regret the turbo even if it’s an auto. I’ve also heard that the auto XT is difficult to tune? How true is that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The XT also suffered less from head gasket issues.

Yes, I'd go for the auto XT (XTs hadn't been released when I purchased my MY'03)
Funny you mention the gasket issue. I’ve found an XT and the owner says one side the valve gasket is leaking but hasn’t found evidence of oil loss or burn.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
I had a leaky valve cover gasket on my 04XT. It is an very easy fix compared to head gaskets.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never changed either gaskets before but I can assume the heads are definitely more pricey. If I went with this vehicle I was considering changing both valve cover gaskets and head gaskets at the same time. This is assuming the current owner is not mistaking it for the head gasket.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
[I’ve also heard that the auto XT is difficult to tune? How true is that?]

My 07 is stage 2 currently. Nowhere in the process did my tuner mention anything to that effect. I purchased a COBB Accessport, loaded a map, then he proceeded to tweak the map to wrangle any horses left on the table. It took all of about 1 week, a handful of WOT pulls, and 3 or 4 emails to tune my car. Easy peasey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome! Thank you all for the input. Makes me feel better about going auto. Now to keep my eyes open for THE 1!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts