Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am going to look at used one below in used car dealer. What are things I should check during test drive.
Thanks,

$6,550 ... 2004 Forester 2.5X Green ext., Tan Cloth Int. w/ Leather Accents

FREE State Inspection & 1 Month Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty

120,000 Miles

Clean Inside and Out -

1 OWNER Clean CARFAX Certified and comes with a full CARFAX Report

NEW TIMING BELT

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Which one to choose?

Found another Forester ... 2005 2.5X automatic 100k miles Silver/Gray $6,900

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
I have an '03X AT w/ 129K and love it.

Both of the cars sound like they might be good. Either would need the timing belt replacement at 105K miles so the first one sounds like it's already had it done.

Both cars are externally identical as the newer "soft" front end came online in 2006.

Check to be sure the the head gaskets are NOT weeping....a mechanic can do that, especially a Subie-capable one.

I'd prefer to get one that has all of the maintenance records so you can see what was done and when, especially the oil and filter changes and radiator coolant services......

Best of luck,

Steve

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Do you have a budget in mind and would you consider going outside the Boston area, even to another state nearby? Since you are near a large metropolitan area the prices seem higher than lets say NH.

And as far as the timing belts make sure they have also changed the idlers and tensioner, those are likely to fail before the belt. If the belt has not been change you should be able to work down the price so that you can afford to have it done.

Keep us informed here as to what you found with the ones you are looking for.

*****I stand corrected pricing seems pretty close in neighboring states

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2004 one said to have Timing Belt done. What sign do I look at to verify if the T-belt is old or new?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts