Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found that my headgasket is leaking. I was told by a friend who has worked on Subarus a good bit that it would be an $800 parts cost and would be better to just buy another engine. If I am going to buy another engine I would like to have a turbocharged one over an N/A one. Anyone have any suggestions or advice for me?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,485 Posts
It's closer to $2200 parts and labour for head gasket job. Can you drop in the XT engine yes! But will it work and be easy? No. You'll spend almost the same as $2200 on the head gasket job as you will on the engine swap if not more.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know what the prices may be. I just need to know if it will run into any big issues like if the transmission will fit and if the electrical connectors are the same and stuff. I cant have the car be out of commission for more than like 3 days. And overall, id rather spend $2200 on the XT engine than spend $2200 fixing my XS. I just need to make sure it isnt too difficult to get in and running and driving.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,485 Posts
If you only have 3 days down time. Then I would advise against this task. All kinds of wiring needs to be changed, etc....It is basically not a straight swap, you will not be to quote you "Get in and running and driving." But it's your decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, guess I'll just try doing the gasket with a kit and not messing with the headbolts. Im on a really tight budget at the moment, plus work and school give me very little time off so Ill swap the engine sometime down the road. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,485 Posts
How bad is the HG leak if I may ask? What symptoms are you seeing. I drove from about 180,000 miles on my 2001 until 218,000 before I changed the HG. It was leaking oil and coolant. I also sent off oil samples to Blackstone Lab to see just how contaminated the oil was, it was the last sample I sent off that triggered me to get he HG done. I knew the HG was going as I was losing about 1L every 3-4000 miles, and needing to add coolant every 6-8 months. You might be better off doing nothing and keep driving it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It drips, but from a different area than the headgasket (it seems to gather in a spot then drip). As for the coolant, it does seem to be leaking but I dont think its dripping yet. I do have a weird overheating issue that only happens while idleing, driving keeps the temperature down. Of course the more I drove that day, the faster it climbs at idle/low speeds. Also, my engine only has 136,000 something miles.

·
Registered
04 forester 5mt N/A, 17 impreza at N/A
83 Posts
the headgasket job can be done with the motor in the car. but its always a good idea to send the heads off to a shop to have the decked and cleaned to prevent from failing to soon. and that could take a week or more. mrsubaru1387 on youtube has a whole playlist of how to maintain subarus and is always nice at answering questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts