Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forester xs
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and fairly inexperienced with subies. I have an 03 Forester XS with 143k miles on the original motor. I bought it pretty cheap ($2,500) with the intention of overlanding it. I noticed it's a bit sluggish during acceleration and on an incline. I've done the basics, replaced fluids, spark plugs and brakes but now I'm looking to increase the power if possible. I'm considering an engine and tranny swap but would like to save as much money as possible. I would appreciate any and all guidance! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,710 Posts
Do you have the MT or AT? But realistically no power to be gained on the NA engine. If you make it breathe better with more free flowing intake and exhaust, you'll likely gain maybe couple of HP, but do so by sacrificing bottom end torque. If you do decide to do a engine and trannie swap, then get your hands on the XT motor and matching transmission. Personally XT with AT for off-roading. I am not a fan of the MT and MT with off-roading, other's here will argue with good clutch technique that clutch and off-roading go hand in hand.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,971 Posts
@03Fozzydad welcome to the forum from Oregon!
<snipped> I noticed it's a bit sluggish during acceleration and on an incline. <snipped>
One of the first things I noticed, after inherited my dad's '03 X back in '05!

As noted on the above posts, not a whole lot of untapped hp to be found in the NA - naturally aspirated engine. If you're using this for off road use, you shouldn't need added power & your gas mileage will be better as it sits.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: Kevin
1 - 4 of 4 Posts