Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Womprat57!

Yes, woven ground straps are the usual thing for this application, quite generic in character, and available at the auto part shops.
Thanks bbottomley!

Would you just bolt the new ground straps on, or should I do something to the factory bolts first, so they don't build up resistance, etc?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,326 Posts
@fanofforesters You already had a thread on this same problem, with member replies, waiting for your reply. You abandoned that thread & proceeded to created a new thread. Your threads have now been merged together!

Please peruse this:
Specifically this, under the "General Posting Guidelines":
4. Do not crosspost, i.e. post the same thread or post in more than one forum. Choose the most appropriate forum for your topic and post it only once. Duplicates will be merged or deleted.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
666 Posts
Both wires (before they melted, and split in two), are bolted to the engine bay side of the wheel wells, and the other ends are bolted the engine.

Is there a certain guage of wire to buy?
For that application, you can probably buy braided 12 gauge wire from home depot and some lugs to put on each end.
A while back, I bought a spool of this stuff so I can pretty much give anything a really good ground. I use it for cars but professionally as well.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,326 Posts
@fanofforesters as I wrote earlier on in this thread, those are NOT the main ground wires, as they are very light gauge & connect with lightweight push together connectors. If they have melted, then the main battery to engine ground has failed or is faulty, causing excess current to flow thru those frame to engine grounds.

You need to verify the main battery to engine ground is functional. That ground is a heavy cable directly from battery negative to the engine near the starter.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
649 Posts
When I did mine I just wire-brushed the bolts, washers and spot where they went in. Its tedious but the payoff is good. I've had so many cars that responded well from freshening up the grounds.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts