Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2003 Forester X manual
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ONE strut: about $700???? What. the. hell.????? That's more, just barely, then the 4 tires I had to buy. Can someone explain to me why the hell Subie struts are so fricking expensive???? This was done after an inspection of front end, and found one strut was leaking...

· Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
2,214 Posts
A KYB front strut for your car costs $61.79 at RockAuto and FCS ones are $33.79 US. A new top mount can be had for $15 to 40, and a new strut bellow for roughly $10 to $17. You could also buy a new coil spring rubber insulator and a new spring seat for $20. Basically, less than $120 + shipping gets you everything needed to redo a front strut while reusing your strut spring. My guess is a garage would charge an hour and a half to 2 hours to install it plus the price of a wheel alignment afterward to protect your new tires.

· Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
2,214 Posts
I checked and they only have rear complete struts at the moment. I agree they are fishing for extra revenue and profit. I would be really curious to see their detailed estimate so as to better understand how they figure the job is worth over $700.

· Registered
2015 Forester CVT
60 Posts
Possibility A - mechanic has a yacht payment due. Possibility B - mechanic is incompetent. Possibility C - all of the above.

When I was driving Audi 5000s, a "mechanic" told me that the only way to replace the front shocks was to remove the strut, saw it in half, replace the shock absorber, and weld the strut back together again. Shop manual disagreed - remove three nuts on top strut mount, LIFT the shock out of the strut, remove two nuts to release old shock from top mount, install new shock onto top mount, slide it back into the strut, reinstall three nuts holding mount to body. 15 minutes. No saw, no torch.

You may have visited the same guy, or perhaps his brother.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

· Registered
2 Posts
I dont doubt you need one but best replaced in pairs(or all 4) and horrible price.
Yep!! ALWAYS in pairs!! And the self leveling struts arent really all they are cracked up to be! I replaced front and rear struts, coils, boots and top bearing carriers for around $1500Aus the lot on my 2006 Forester. 210,000k! Spring compressors are the only " Special" tool you need! Some beers and a day, and you are good to go! Easy job!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts